Docbook_TEI_Install_emacs

I am in a bit of a pickle. I have been trying for several months to install TEI (XML application similar to Docbook) into my emacs. I am using carbon emacs (as I am using Mac Os X) and I wish to install all my TEI stuff in a custom location rather than the site-lisp location in the emacs.app directory.

My problems: I do not no where to place the TEI files directory to place my files in.
/usr/share/sgml? or /usr/share/xml? or do I place some files in each folder.

Problem: Do I need to have catalog files? where do I put them?

Problem: How do I make it so Emacs can use nxml on the tei files so that I have auto completion. and how do I add the TEI shema to the emacs dropdown menu (docbook, relax ng and several others are already included with the app. I thought that by studying the files in the emacs distribution I would be able to find some clues; no success.

Questions: I am also wondering if it is possible to configure emacs so that I can easily and quickly access template files.

Apology: I am having trouble understanding the file system and need to place the proper files in the proper place. I tried searching the emacs pages, but I couldn't find info on manual installs of TEI on the macintosh platform and was concidering installing Debian (though I know nothing about it) because debian can install TEI automatically through the apt get. But there has to be a way to manually install on mac.

Any assistance or advice regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated and refreshing.

Thank you.