Do I need to reboot Solaris 10 server for changes in /etc/systems ?

Hi,

I have upgraded my Solaris 10 2005 to Solaris 10 2007. I am facing one bug, id: 6550904. To override this issue I have done following changes in /etc/systems:
set max_uheap_lpsize = 0x2000
set max_ustack_lpsize = 0x2000
set max_privmap_lpsize = 0x2000
set max_shm_lpsize = 0x2000
set use_brk_lpg = 0
set use_stk_lpg = 0

Do I need to reboot the server for these changes ?Is there any way to do it without rebooting ?
I had heard that Solaris 10 donesn't need reboot for changes in /etc/systems.
Please help me.

Thanks
NeeleshG

yes, any change to /etc/system needs a reboot, but you should check that in /etc/system is the reccommended way to apply your setting in solaris 10, there are relatively few that need to be set this way these days.

Mr reborg is saying absolutely right

the changes effect how init hand out memory....

all you have to do is re-start init

and that would be a re-boot.

Thanks all.

I asked this because in Linux we can change kernel parameters without rebooting servers. So I thought there may be some way to resolve this in Solaris 10.

Thanks again.
Neelesh

You could also take a look at using projects in Solaris 10 (projadd, projmod, projdel) which just edit /etc/project, but in a safe way. Then you can control almost all kernel parameters and you do not need to reboot to use or change them. You will need to relaunch the process(es) after you make the change, but you do not have to reboot. There is a whole section in the Solaris 10 manual about using projects. What is even better about them is you can assign them to users, groups, processes, groups of processes, etc. and give different projects different kernel params or different users hard stops on using system resources without messing with containers or domains and what not. So for example, you could tell the oracle user that it has 3GB of RAM and the jboss app server it has 2GB of RAM and they will not fight each other.

Actually, you certainly can dynamically change kernel parameters under Solaris like you can do it with the Linux kernel. mdb is one of the tools used to do it.
Of course, some of the changes won't have any effect in these cases where the parameter is used only at boot time while changing some others will badly panic the machine.

As syncho already wrote, resource controls (projects) are a better way to tune the system.