distro for "newbiee" on notebook

One of my mates want to try a more advanced version of Linux (he is currently using Linux Mint), but he only have notebook to try it out, it has following hardware(I know off):
1.8GHz Core 2 Duo
1 GB of ram
500GB HDD @7200

I don't know the audio, graphics and wireless card

But I have no expericen Debian distrobutions which he kinda want to stay with for the time being :s
I have suggested Debian, but I kinda need others oppion to giver better advice on this subject

"more advanced" meaning what?

That doesn't tell us anything useful. Could you get the model of the laptop?

If I can get through to him I will get the model, but I know it is a IBM ThinkPad

With more advance would be one where everything is not install as a preebundel :smiley:

Most distros will allow you to select what you install, really, if that's what you mean by 'advanced'.

His words :slight_smile:

He could try his hand at Slackware, Gentoo, or Linux from scratch. But beware, all three require you to know what you're doing, since none has any "Are you sure you want to do that" safelocks in place.

I use SlackWare anyways he wants to use Debian based distro - so he can use .deb - so it exclude the all 3 - but anyways thanks for the suggestions

Well then he should go back to the original and install Debian. But I don't know of any Debian-based distribution that's source-based. And as an exercise, he could try and make dpkg and apt run on those distros :wink:

That would be funny :wink: and yearh I have thought about learning him SlackWare

I'm using Mint 11 on notebook with configuration like it and for me it's good enough.

It might be a good idea to find out what he actually wants before finding a distro for him.

Well as I have said - he wants:

• A Debian based distro
    Besides that:
  • A stock Gnome/XFCE dekstop
  • No plugins install beforhand
  • A distro where you can diside what to install instead of every already installed

As I said: A plain Debian install, without desktop (can be de-selected on install) or any other crud.

Maybe
iQunix OS: Home

Well I would also suggest Debian but I wante anothers oppinon so thanks Debian it will be :smiley: