Distributing script projects, suggestions/ideas?

Heyas

If you recall, not too long ago, i was asking about the GNU Autotools. The feedback on that was almost unisense, and me figured that it turned my (back then) +98% SHELL project into a +73% GROFF project... :frowning:
Felt a bit overhelmed, specialy since i didnt actualy use or need the true purpose of those tools....

But it sure helped me lots understanding the whole installation process (a little bit) better.
Eventually i thought i could write my own 'installer' (aka configure) script -> YASSI -> Yet Another Simple Script Installer.
The help screen will look quite familiar... :wink:

For basic installations, one runs ./configure [--prefix=/usr] which generates:

• make-install
  • make-uninstall
  • make-distclean

A basic installation of a small script based project could look as simple as (in the configure.cfg ):

APP=my-script
BINDIR=myscript.sh
MAN1DIR=man/*1
DOCDIR="README.md docs/LICENSE"
DATADIR=./data_subdir

For more complex projects, one could use doRef=true to get the dirs used by the project saved to: <PREFIX>/<SYSCONFDIR>/<APP>.conf (defaults: [/usr{/local}]/etc or $HOME/.local/etc)
So within your project, you just need to figure that single file, to get all your default/used directories.

However, for more tweaking i've added some arrays that are parsed at different times.

• PREPARE is run during ./configure, so its actions are applied to ./configure --tarball --prefix=/usr
  • PRIOR is run before the actual install, during ./make-install
  • POST is run after the actual install, during ./make-install
  • CLEAN is run during ./make-distclean, and should be used to remove files from PREPARE
  • REMOVE is run during ./make-uninstall, and should be used to remove files from PRIOR
  • IGNORE is run during ./configure --tarball, and should be used to share the prepared project with family or friends.

For obvious reasons, it supplies 2 samples, a default one and a full one (with my own preferences, to illustrate what is possible).

I wonder if you would have any further thoughts or ideas? :b:
Otherwise, i hope this helps - thought this is not a release yet.

Thank you

EDIT:
Sorry, i've already had a thread on it... http://www.unix.com/unix-for-advanced-and-expert-users/260006-simple-un-installation-scripts-using-yassi.html\#post302951707
@Mod: Mind merging?