Disk usage showing 100% after deleting files also | Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5

My Redhat Linux system is always showing 100& disk usage. I have removed almost all the files, but no use and I am always getting 100% disk usage.!!

Filesystem       1K-blocks      Used       Available  Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2         36337384  36066352               0  100% /

I can goahead and reboot the syestem and try, but I don't want to do that since lot of process are running there. If anyone of you experienced any such problem please help me out.? So you think this is because of HDD failure.?

Thanks,
Sanoop
---------- Post updated at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:08 AM ----------

No Redhat experts here !! :frowning:

Might be you are removing files which are smaller in size ..

Go through the below post and find the maximum space occupied file and do the house-keeping ..

it may be a problem because of some files are opened.

check the process list and see if any of the process is related to the deleted files.

eg:

ps -ef | grep vi 
ps -ef | grep more,less..etc...

Check size of / by du for reference ... and try below

# mount -o remount /

Perhaps this link can help?

Thank You Guys. Since my system is being used for some other purpose I would be able to try this after some time. I will let you know the reseults with your comments.

Next time, truncate files which might be in use, like logfiles, instead of deleting them

Also remember that deleting a file that has an open file handle/descriptor does not remove the file from the disk until that handle is closed. lsof should be used to determine what is holding the file open. Then that daemon can be restarted to clear the open file handle.