Disk space missing under SVM

Hi Gurus, I've got an issue here:

(1) Hardware: Sun NetraT1, (2) OS: Solaris 10, (3) SVM

metastat shows /var having 12 GB. df shows /var having 4 GB. Real space for /var is about 4 GB since I can't move a big file to it. How is 8 GB space missing? Does /var/run swap need to account? Can I temporarily disable /var/run and how?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------

% df -k | grep var
/dev/md/dsk/d6 3909578 3124797 745686 81% /var
swap 6637560 56 6637504 1% /var/run

-----------------------------------------------------------

% metastat | more
d6: Mirror
Submirror 0: d7
State: Okay
Submirror 1: d8
Pass: 1
Read option: roundrobin (default)
Write option: parallel (default)
Size: 25166079 blocks (12 GB)
d7: Submirror of d6
Stripe 0:
Device Start Block Dbase State Reloc Hot Spare
c0t0d0s6 0 No Okay Yes

d8: Submirror of d6
Stripe 0:
Device Start Block Dbase State Reloc Hot Spare
c0t1d0s6 0 No Okay Yes

---------- Post updated at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:17 AM ----------

I've checked out another system with similar configuration. Both metastat and df show the same amount of space for /var. This means /var/run should not use space of /var.

Try growing the filesystem: Expanding a File System Using the growfs Command (Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide) - Sun Microsystems

Thanks for the advise, but I don't think this is what I should do now. I want to troubleshoot the issue - find out where is the missing space, and how it happens.

detach the mirror for the slice and attach it back or do a reboot

Hi

I saw ur configuration. Seems to be a 0+1 RAID. The submirror are reflecting 12GB each and the mirror d6 is also correct with 12 GB.

The only issue i think is how do u create the file system on this mirror disk. There are some options which while creating the filesystem may show abnormal diskspace.

I have seen this type of issues whicle creating vxfs file systems..

Just check your process of creating the filesystem on this mirror..

Regards
Ramkumar

growfs may be the solution. I tried but failed. Here is what I got:

# growfs -M /var /dev/md/rdsk/d6
/dev/md/rdsk/d6: Unable to find Media type. Proceeding with system determined parameters.
failed to disable logging.

I think the "unable to find Media type" is not a problem. I saw someone running growfs successfully with this error. The problam is "failed to disable logging". The OS is still writing to /var, that makes growfs unable to freeze /var in order to expand space. I stopped syslogd but still got "failed to disable logging".

Any idea? Thank you!