Discussing Holiday Season Greetings with jlliagre

Hmm, didn't you press that "Submit new thread" button too early ? :wink:

Reference this post:

Greetings!

In the US, the holiday season starts on Thanksgiving Day and continues to after the New Year.

Interesting.
While "Joyeux No�l" (Merry Christmas) and "Bonnes F�tes" (~ Seasons Greetings) is something you definitely wish to your friends in December here in France, it is considered inappropriate not to wait January the 1st at midnight for a "Bonne Ann�e" (Happy New Year). The latter can be sent on the whole month of January, but no later nor sooner.

PS: How is "Asia Pacific" the US ?

Sorry, what does living in Asia have to do with Holiday Wishes for the US?

Do you also complain about the colors of the Christmas wrappings when people give you a present or analyze the size of the greeting card ? :wink:

Sorry, I wasn't aware that time restriction was specific to the French culture.

My best wishes for all unix.com mods, members and visitors !

Yes, in the US, we start seasonal greetings at the Thanksgiving Holidays.

The world is bigger than France :wink:

PS: We very much appreciate our French members and visitors!

Statistically speaking, just to let you know, the largest number of visitors to this forum, by a very big number, are from the US. Where there is a major US holiday, our traffic falls considerable (like yesterday).

Hi.

And if one is in marketing, the season seems to start on July 4 :slight_smile: .

I also was not aware of the -- rigidity is not the correct word-- formality of the appropriateness of greetings in French society. It's always good to learn how to be in accordance with customs ... cheers, drl

It is my impression that things have been evolving in the US. We seemed to celibrate Christmas earlier and earlier. Thanksgiving served as a boundary to stop the "holiday creep". This lengthening of the season also diluted the importance of Christmas. We used to get a major new Christmas song every year. Now they're rare. One constraint used to be erecting a living Christmas tree in your house...they only last a couple of weeks at best. But the new plastic jobs will last forever. I also would be interested to hear more about the holiday customs in other countries. I think that Thanksgiving never made it out of the US, but I'm not sure. I don't think that Christmas would be very big in non-Christian counties. In the US, "Happy Holidays" is largely replacing "Merry Christmas" because it is more inclusive.

Christmas is HUGE in big cities in Bangkok. The big departments are all decorated just like in the US. There are cute girls in Santa suits everywhere as we get closer to Christmas. Large building have Christmas lights. People greet (the tourists especially) with Merry Christmas etc.

No one cares about any of the traditional religious meanings at all. They love the trees, the balls, the lights, giving gifts, decorating, it is all in great fun.

So, if you think Christmas has little traditional meaning in the US, you should visit Bangkok, where it is another excuse to party and have fun!

However, since there is no Thankgiving holiday here, the stores do not begin to decorate as early.

A Bonne Ann�e prior to New Year just seems odd it's not a rule but rather that the words when used in French are interpreted literally. It's actually very difficult to describe this type of cultural/linguistic idiom, a bit like trying to translate a word that does not have an exact translation.

I wrongly thought "Bonne Ann�e" and "Happy New Year" were similar enough idioms for triggering my initial comment.

In France, can't you send a card with "Joyeux Noel et Bonne Ann�e"? Or do you send two cards, one before christmas and one after new year?

Apparently Google Translate agrees with you that "Bonne Ann�e" and "Happy New Year" are one and the same!

They are but the big difference is context. In the French way the meaning translates inexactly to English more like "(Welcome to a) Happy New Year", in other words it is not an advance greeting.

My best wishes for the cyber team :slight_smile:
Keep rocking with unix.com :b:

Usually, when you post something by mail to be received in December, what is written is "Bonnes F�tes" that fits all. A "Bonne Ann�e 2010" card is normally sent to be received in January. Of course, nobody will feel offended if received earlier but definitely surprised/puzzled (like I was) if received in November.
When using a most media like e-mail, phone, telephone text message, radio, TV, the rule is first day(s) of January. Face to face wishes are given the first time you meet in January.
One exception is the French President who is giving his wishes to the French people on TV December the 31 evening.

---------- Post updated at 11:00 ---------- Previous update was at 10:51 ----------

Yes, I'm reaching the same conclusion.
We will say "Bonnes vacances" (Enjoy your vacation) before the thing happen but unlikely "Bon anniversaire" (Happy birthday) before that precise day.

So "Happy New-Year 2010" is more like "Enjoy 2010".