RSH

Hi All,

Whenever we are giving rsh localhost date , it give an error "Permission Denied".
RHEL 6 is the version, and we're logging in as "root".
in .rhosts file I have mentioned all the details, and enabled rsh,rsync,rexec,rlogin in /etc/xinetd.d/ file

Please suggest.

Reg,
Muzaffar

here's a simple answer you may not like. STOP USING RSH. Use SSH. There are few if any reasons to use antiquated, risky, and insecure methods nowadays.

I have found that RSH is much faster when copying data over internal network (which is of course understandable since it doesn't encrypt the data)

So i see no evil in enable, do your job and disable it if you need to copy like 100 or more GB.

It's wrong to have always on, since there are secure alternatives (sftp/ssl, ssh).

Regards
Peasant.

hi...

we are using rsh to login remotely to filer which is storage device, we mention rsh in our script so that it will login to filer through rsh and run the script. for this ssh is not helpfull... can you please tell me how do i solve this issue.

---------- Post updated 06-22-12 at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous update was 06-21-12 at 11:22 AM ----------

Hi guys please suggest to solve this issue as its very important for me to execute scripts

How is SSH not helpful here? What filer in this day and age would have RSH but not SSH? SSH can execute a script too...

How exactly is "ssh not helpful"?

ssh we are using to login to a client or a filer which in network, but in rsh we have to run the command on that prompt only and execute the command, below is the output.

hope you got what i am asking...

in one client its working

[root@mindnic-03 ~]# rsh localhost date
Tue Jun 26 17:22:09 IST 2012
[root@mindnic-03 ~]#

in some clients it show

[root@mindnic-09 ~]# rsh localhost date
Permission denied.
[root@mindnic-09 ~]#

ssh is the modern successor to rsh. It can login and execute single commands as well.