LVM

Hi ,

I have 500 GB hard drive in my office server, previous employee installed fedora in to it, with 50 GB / and 120 GB (/opt/backup 15GB, /opt/test 5GB so on) . i have 180 GB free space left , so I have created LVM in 180 GB and moved all data from 120 GB to 180 .

Now i need to create lvm in 120 GB and merge that in existing LVM , can any one help.
Is there any way we can reduce size of / partition,

Do you absolutely have to? You can simply create a partition on the other non-LVM space and then add it to the VG and then extend the LV. From there, you can either extend the file system within the LV or create more file systems.

Now, here's the bigger issue. If you have a 500GB drive in that server, it appears it is likely SATA or near-line SAS, and has no redundancy. If it is as critical as it may appear, with your reluctance to rebuild it, I suggest you form a plan to migrate to either another server or make some contingency plan for disk failure. Disks failures will happen and more than likely, at an inopportune time.

What you COULD do is to create a virtual machine within the LVM space, and migrate services off to it at your leisure. Then, when you have that done, migrating a VM to another host with better redundancy is relatively trivial.