root

SOS !!!

I have forgotten my root password, on my system, and as a result unable to
access my important files, on my redhat LINUX 8.x m/c. Kindly tell me how
reset/change the existing password, and make a new one. Any help will be
greatly appreciated. The problem arose because I left the system idle without
using it for a few months and in the intervening period, forgot the password.
This request is genuine. Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure what the forum policy is on requests like this but you could try switching to single user mode at the boot loader stage, depending on what boot loader you use. Once the system has booted up you should just be able to use the passwd command to set your password

Actually, the forum policy is to look in the faq section (where we have a lost root password article) before asking the question. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did'nt think the problem was common. BTW, would like to download faq ?

How do I enter single user mode in GRUB 0.92 ?
This is the initial loader, and it does provide a feature to edit the commands.
Do I have to press any key to enter single user mode. The OS is Red Hat linux
on a P4 .

Hi,

Ok I just checked this procedure out using GRUB 0.97 and it worked so hopefully it should for you too.

When you turn your system on wait for the GRUB boot load screen to appear, when it does press 'e'

If you have more than one kernel available to boot to you will have to select which kernel you want to edit the startup parameters for and then press 'e' again.

You should then be taken to a screen that shows startup parameters for the kernel you selected. Move down to the line that starts

kernel /vmlinuz.......

and press 'e' again. This will now take you to the grub edit prompt.

Use the directional arrow keys to move all the way to the end of the line and add the word 'single' on it's own without the quote marks so you will then have a line similar to this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054-FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol100 vga=791 single

Once you have finished editing this line just press enter. You should now be taken back to the previous screen where you can just press b to boot using the modified startup parameter into single user mode. Once at the prompt just use the 'passwd' command and you should be prompted to enter you new password.

THANKS A TON. The procedure worked. Kindly add this reply to FAQ.