Scp

I am trying to transfer a 10g files using scp, but I am getting timeout errors is there anywhere that I can modify a config file or something to increase the time.

It's probably not scp that's timing out but something in between you and the target server. I've transferred fairly large files here at home without a problem. I've also had firewalls configured by work kick me out or sessions time out when I haven't done anything for a bit. On the systems where I know that can happen, I'll hit a key once in a while to make sure the server knows I'm still here and looking.

Can you break up the file into smaller pieces as a test? Try 5 gigs and see if it works. Maybe compress the file (gzip -9 file or compress file) How about hitting a key once in a while. It won't interfere with the transfer and will let the server know you're still there. How long is the transfer taking before it times out?

Carl

I rared the file to 10 gigs. Do you any configuration files (ssh) that I could tweak that might be causing this to happen. I am inside my network so the firewall shouldn't be the issue

Try to juggle with the buffer size parameter [-b buffer_size] ; start with 1024 and keep on incrasing it by its multiples to have a better throughput.

I was hitting such a problem with sftp, and when I reduced te buffer size, it went thru fine.

Hope this helps
bye

What file do I have edit to change the buffer size