WiFi

Can 2 computers be connected (FreeBSD and notebook with WinXP) via WiFi if both have WiFi net cards?

yes you could connect any computer (FreeBSD, Linux, Window XP, Mac) to internet via a Router, as long as you set up your router correctly.

Why I need a router to connect 2 hosts?

I think by router he means access-point.

I found this article:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

Sounds interesting, I'll try it also for 2 WinXP hosts, have no idea about FreeBSD and XP wifi connection.

Regards,
Tayyab

The MAIN question is what hardware I need except 2 WiFi net cards?

No extra hardware is required as per that Microsoft article.

If WinXP supports ad hoc connections I think I can configure this under FreeBSD (1-2 days :))

Thanks in advance!

As far as I recall, if you are using Window XP Pro, you will have the support for the ad-hoc, it would be under the firewall setting or the security center, could not quite remember which one are those.

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to use your XP box to be the ad hoc?

Becouse I do not want to connect notebook via cables to the server. WiFi is the answer to that problem.

I see. I am looking from the network security angle, if you are hardwire into the system plus using VPN, whatever you want to do would be more secure than sending it over the air.