Dhcp

Hi you all. I'm trying to enable DHCP in a Sun Utra 5 runing Solaris 8 but during the boot process it sends me the message : "Device not in appropiate status"

Do anyone have enabled DHCP on solaris 8?
Any Procedure?

The DHCP server is an NT I guess.

The procedure as found on SunSolve:

I have used this to set up Ultra 10 systems in the past with no problems.

You might also want to look at Solaris DHCP Admin guide

Setting up a DHCP client on Solaris
Introduction :
If you are trying to set up DHCP on a Solaris box, this could be just what you're looking for! For example, if you're trying to get your Sun workstation (or PC running Solaris x86) to talk to your cable modem, but your hostname gets set to "unknown", this document will tell you how to get round that.

Throughout this page, I'll assume that you're using le0 for your DHCP connection. Substitute hme0 (or whatever interface you do use) in the examples below.

Setting up a DHCP client
There are two ways of using DHCP:

DHCP has limited control
DHCP has full control

The first case may be where you want to set your own /etc/resolv.conf and so on, with a minimum of hassle.

The second case would be the normal situation, especially if your cable modem provider has a habit of changing DNS name server IP addresses on you (like mine does!), so I'll concentrate on that here. You'll need to change the DEFAULT_ADDR and INTERFACE variables as required.

The first thing to do is to create an empty /etc/hostname.le0; I use touch:

# touch /etc/hostname.le0
Another way of creating the file is to simply say:
# > /etc/hostname.le0
The latter method will work even if /etc/hostname.le0 already exists on your system. Creating this file ensures that the interface gets plumbed, ready for the DHCP software to do its stuff.
Next, you create /etc/dhcp.le0. This file can be empty if you want to accept the defaults, but may also contain one or both of these directives:

wait time, and
primary

By default, ifconfig will wait 30 seconds for the DHCP server to respond (after which time, the boot will continue, while the interface gets configured in the background). Specifying the wait directive tells ifconfig not to return until the DHCP has responded. time can be set to the special value of forever, with obvious meaning. I use a time value of 300, which seems to be long enough for my cable provider.

The primary directive indicates to ifconfig that the current interface is the primary one, if you have more than one interface under DHCP control. If you only have one interface under DHCP control, then it is automatically the primary one, so primary is redundant (although it's permissible).

With these files in place, subsequent reboots will place le0 under DHCP control: you're ready to play!

Actually, there's one snag: most (if not all) cable modem DHCP servers don't provide you with a hostname (even if they did, odds are it won't be one you want anyway!). This wouldn't be a problem, except that the boot scripts (/etc/init.d/rootusr in particular) try to be clever, and set your hostname to "unknown" in this case, which is not at all useful!

The trick is to change your hostname back to the right one, preferably without changing any of the supplied start up scripts, which are liable to be being stomped on when you upgrade or install a patch. You've also got to do it early enough in the boot process, so that rpcbind, sendmail and friends don't get confused by using the wrong hostname. I put this little script in to /etc/init.d/set_hostname, with a symbolic link to it from /etc/rc2.d/S70set_hostname to solve this problem.

With these modifications in place, reboot, and you'll be using your cable modem in no time!

so long...
greetings Pre�y