Disabling SNMP in AIX 7.1

Hi,

I am planning to disable SNMP in our AIX LPARs. wanted to see by disabling in a test LPAR.
before that, I would like to check disabling this SNMP will impact any of our application or database in anyway. what kind of other software depends on these SNMP daemons ?

Can you please let me know the exact use of SNMP in AIX. I understand that SNMP is used to collect information about network connected servers/routes/devices etc. (will it affect NFS file systems ? )
ours is a small shop. we never used SNMP config files to setup anything specially.

[root@testlpar]/root>which snmpd
/usr/sbin/snmpd
[root@testlpar]/root>ls -ltr /usr/sbin/snmpd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     system            9 Jan 07 2015  /usr/sbin/snmpd -> snmpdv3ne
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     system            8 Jan 07 2015  /usr/sbin/clsnmp -> clsnmpne

[root@testlpar]/home/tesusr>cd /etc/snmp
snmpd.boots     snmpd.conf      snmpd.peers     snmpdv3.conf    snmpinterfaces/ snmpmibd.conf

when we installed AIX 71, SNMP v3 non-encrypted version came along with it. please see details below. we never had an opportunity use SNMP agents/server for any purpose.

Subsystem         Group            PID          Status
 aixmibd          tcpip            3121214      active
 hostmibd         tcpip            3232324      active
 snmpmibd         tcpip            3323232      active
 snmpd            tcpip            3212121      active

Please let me know disabling SNMP related daemons or services will cause any issues. thank you.

if you use HACMP (PowerHA), it will cause issues with clstat and clinfo service.

It may cause problems with your monitoring, if it uses SNMP to collect information.

You may want to check your application setup. Usually applications don't require SNMP server on the AIX side, but...

Thanks Agent.kgb

As I mentioned earlier, ours is a small shop. AIX is not a primary/core OS in our environment.We do not have POWERHA/HACMP and We do not have any monitoring tool for AIX. Instead we use scripts for monitoring very few servers.
we never modified any of the SNMP config files after OS installation to support application.

does this means Application will not use SNMP ?

I dont think disabling SNMP will impact

NFS filesystems
Shell script monitoring capability to send email alerts.
NTP

or any other network related services

Please clarify.

Thank you.

This suggests that you do not need SNMP, but to finally answer that question you simply will have to try.

No, it doesn't. I haven't installed AIX from scratch for a long time and i am not sure what the installation default of the SNMP-daemons is, but you can simply test that:

lssrc -a | grep -e snmp -e mib

You may eventually see 4 running daemons: snmpd, aixmibd, hostmibd and snmpmibd. If so: SNMP is active. If not: then not. (duh :wink: )

If it is active: shut them offf via the SRC. The command is stopsrc -s <daemon> . See the description of the SRC (system resource controller), namely the command chssys to change the starting behaviour.

No, SNMP won't affect these three either way.

This depends on the network service and a general answer can't be given. You will have to determine which network services you need in particular and then find out if they rely on SNMP. What you have said so far indicated that you don't need it, but just try it and see what happens. In teh unlikely event of you having to start them again: use the startsrc command to start them via the SRC.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

Thank you, this helps :slight_smile:

Just wanted to check this,

I disabled SNMP related daemons on test AIX LPARs.

on /etc/rc.tcpip file;

# Start up the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) daemon
#start /usr/sbin/snmpd "$src_running"

#start /usr/sbin/snmpd "$src_running"
# Start up the snmpmibd daemon

# Start up the hostmibd daemon
#start /usr/sbin/hostmibd "$src_running"

# Start up the aixmibd daemon
#start /usr/sbin/aixmibd "$src_running"
#lssrc -a | grep -e snmp -e mib
 snmpd            tcpip                         inoperative
 aixmibd          tcpip                         inoperative
 hostmibd         tcpip                         inoperative
 snmpmibd         tcpip                         inoperative

rebooted the test AIX LPARs, But some how snmp demon/service got started.

#lssrc -a | grep tcpip
 xntpd            tcpip            6076858      active
 inetd            tcpip            6739073      active
 snmpd            tcpip            6774176      active
 muxatmd          tcpip                         inoperative
 rwhod            tcpip                         inoperative

lssrc -a | grep -e snmp -e mib
 snmpd            tcpip            6774176      active
 aixmibd          tcpip                         inoperative
 hostmibd         tcpip                         inoperative
 snmpmibd         tcpip                         inoperative

Can you please suggest on how to disable SNMP permanently on AIX (even after reboot).

Thank you.

Hello!

Are you sure this is still a problem in 7.1?
What problem could occur?

As far as I remember I did this to deaktivate snmpd:

mv /opt/ibm/icc/cimom/bin/startdirsnmpd /opt/ibm/icc/cimom/bin/startdirsnmpd.OLD.15.02.2016
chrctcp -S -d snmpd
chrctcp -S -d dpid17

DiViN3, it is not a problem, it is by design so. clstat uses snmp to obtain information about cluster. clinfo is just small layer between HACMP and SNMP, which delivers all this information. Switch off snmp and run cldump to see a result.

Thanks for the response DiViN3. SNMP issue resolved.

SNMP activated on boot because of below entry in inittab file.

platform_agent:2:once:/usr/bin/startsrc -s platform_agent >/dev/null 2>&1

I removed the platform_agent & cimservices from inittab. But still cimsys daemon got started. is there any way to disable this permanently ?

Thank you.

---------- Post updated at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:18 PM ----------

Thanks agent.kgb and DiViN3 for your time. :slight_smile:

never mind, everything is working as expected. thanks again.