Directory is invisible in listing but it is exist.

Hi ALL.

Can anyone could help me.

Have you had a chance to experienced that when you list (ls) a directory from ordinary execution of command, you couldn't see the directory.
However, when you list it from the directory filename itself or even changing to directory (cd), it will show to you that there is an existing folder.

Sounds weird and interesting? Please see below sample or actual snapshot.....

No issues:
men:/nas> ls -ld FilterT*
drwxrwxr-x 2 user1 user1 1024 2009-03-14 16:36 FilterTools
men:/nas> ls -ld FilterTools
drwxrwxr-x 2 user1 user1 1024 2009-03-14 16:36 FilterTools

Here's the issue:
men:/nas> ls -ld CIM_SOLSUM*
/bin/ls: CIM_SOLSUM*: No such file or directory
men:/nas> ls -ld CIM_SOLSUMMARY
drwxrwxr-x 2 user1 user1 80 2009-09-19 17:46 CIM_SOLSUMMARY
men:/nas> cd CIM_SOLSUM*
-bash: cd: CIM_SOLSUM*: No such file or directory
men:/nas> cd CIM_SOLSUMMARY
men:/nas/CIM_SOLSUMMARY> ls -l
total 8
-rwxrwxr-x 1 user1 user1 130 2009-06-04 05:33 CIM_SOLSUMMARY.xml

Also, do you think there's an issue or has effect from NAS server?

sy1nas01:/fs/R14
113141856 100473888 12667968 89% /nas

Many thanks in advance.

did u try using "ls -lad" ??

Thank you for your quick reply...
Yes, it will shown with 'lad' option as same as with 'ld' if you are going to list from its full directory name otherwise, no such file or directory.

men:/nas> ls -lad CIM_SOLSUM*
men:/nas> ls -lad CIM_SOLSUMMARY

By the way, this is on Linux machine.
men:/nas> uname -a
Linux sy1nas01 2.6.5-7.282-bigsmp #1 SMP Tue Aug 29 10:40:40 UTC 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Thank you again.

Does 'ls -laNd' show anything suspicious?

Hello.. Thanks for your reply...

Still the same situation.
men:/nas> ls -laNd CIM_SOLSUM*
men:/nas> ls -laNd CIM_SOLSUMMARY

:confused:

This is not actually unusual. There is such a thing as hidden files and folders. Usually, only files or folders that start with dot (.) are hidden, although it is possible for distributions to make other files or folders hidden as well. Wildcard expansion will not include any hidden files or folders, so the wildcard (since there are no matches) will expand to the wildcard expression, itself (e.g. the literal 'CIM_SOLSUM*').

You can list all files and folders using the '-a' switch to 'ls'. If you need to search for a particular hidden file or folder whose name matches a specific pattern, you can always pipe the output of 'ls' to 'grep' as in 'ls -la | grep CIM_SOLSUM'.

What shell are you using and do you have globbing turned on or off?

I'd call it pretty unusual, since hiding folders and files in most UNIX systems is not a function of the operating system or even the filesystem. Programs that hide things starting with . do so only by convention, it's not enforced; ls always finds entries beginning with . and simply doesn't report them unless asked.

Ergo, modifying a UNIX OS to hide certain other files and folders would mean hacking hardcoded behavior into an assortment of shells and tools.

I think that "fpmurphy" has cracked it. The "*" is not working.
Could be "set -f" in the script or something in the way shell was invoked which turned off "file name generation" (aka. "filename globbing").

Hi ALL.

Many thanks for all the replies. FYI.

The issue has been resolve by trying to remount the NAS Server.