Different sizes with getconf DISK_SIZE and lspv

Hi all,

when I issue a lspv <hdisk> , I get

TOTAL PPs:          7199 (1842944 megabytes)

When I issue a getconf DISK_SIZE /dev/<hdisk> , I get

Where do those additional ~800 GB come from the output of lspv .. anyone an idea?

The volume is an EMC LUN provided by a VIOS and I have no access there.
Also I am not root so I cant check with bootinfo -s <hdisk> .

Thanks in advance!

cheers
zaxxon

EDIT:
I also did a check with lqueryvg -Atvp <hdisk> and got

Total PPs:      14398

Comparing the number of PP on the volume from lspv and the fact that the VG on this PV is placed on 2 hdisks of the same size, I assume that the output of lqueryvg is simly x2, ie. number of hdisks.
The VG on those 2 volumes is enhance-concurrent; maybe this counts in somehow too on some of the tools/outputs?

Also I got this Output, checking amount of PPs on the PV by VGID and PVID:

$ lquerypv -g 00caf4de00004c0000000137fe5de949 -p 00caf4deed67916b -n

Hi,

i guess the size of the disk has changed in the past and the LVM is currently not aware of this.

man chvg

-g
            Will examine all the disks in the volume group to see if they have grown in size. If any disks have grown in size attempt to add
            additional PPs to PV. If necessary will determine proper 1016 multiplier and conversion to big vg.

Note: The user might be required to execute varyoffvg and then varyonvg on the volume group for LVM to see the size change on the
            disks.

Normaly this happens when we increase the size of LUN on the storage layer. Decreasing a LUN where the LVM is not aware of it should result in a IO failure...

Regards

1 Like

It could be that this is the reason - sadly there is no way for me to verify it because I have no root access and no VIOS access.
I assume they did the chvg -v on the VIOS but not on the client LPARs, maybe due to the needed varyon/off.

I will have to take the output of lspv in this case :frowning:

Thanks though.

cheers
zaxxon