Differences in the version of RedHat linux 5.2 and 9.0.

hi ,

Can anybody please let me know the difference in the version of RedHat linux 5.2 and 9.0.

Will there be any difference if i execute the script in RedHat linux 9.0 insead of RedHat linux 5.2?

Thanks in Advance.

Do you mean Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2 and Red Hat Linux 9.0 (9.0 is VERY old and not supported) or the MUCH older Red Hat Linux 5.2? Depending on the script it may or may not work.

You have not mentioned what language the script is in or what it does. If it is simple, like creating a user, it may work fine. If it is something that has drastically changed in over 10 years, it is likely to not work.

Thanks mark ...

yes i mean Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 which is latest than 5.2.

My script contains grep, awk, paste, tr commands.

just wanted to know whether these commands differ in these 2 versions..

and also wanted to know the exact differences in the verisions.

There is no Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0, the most current is 5.5 (March 2010 I think). I think you mean Red Hat Linux 9.0, which is dated from 2003. And over the course of 7 years a lot of things are bound to change, not only commands, but filesystem layouts, file formats, ... too. Most of the tools you've mentioned, however, have a common set of options and behaviour across platforms. If you're using GNU specific options, better look over the man pages for the commands and check for differences.

1 Like

you can think ver 9 -- > like Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
and
you can look this general differences
redhat.com | Products & Services

and for software(grep, awk, paste, tr.. ) there is will be different inevitablely but this is not big diffrences (probably minor change in versions) and i dont think it is cause of problem..

1 Like

Oh... Thanks guys..

Am new to Linux and I was thinking that RedHatLinux and RHEL are one and the same.

can you please clearly tell me what is the difference between RHL and RHEL?

Basically RHL was discontinued in 2004-2005. It had a paid version and a free version (one of the reasons it was so popular in those days).

The paid version gradually became RHEL and the free version became Fedora Core (known today just as "Fedora").

RHEL 3 was based on RH9 and current version (5.x) is based mainly on FC6 (the last "Core" release). :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you