DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based.

I've installed CentOS 6.2 with DHCP, BIND 9 and also Webmin to aid config. DHCP seems to be working no problem with the WinXP test machine however it doesn't seem to register itself with the DNS server.

NSLookup on the XP client pauses and then says
DNS request timeout
timeout was 2 seconds
*** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.1: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 10.0.01

I have configured reverse DNS. I've heard it's something to do with getting the DNS server to trust the DHCP server but I'm not clear on how to go about that.

If you only have 2 uses why not just safe your self some trouble with DNS and just use the /etc/hosts file?

I didn't think of that, thanks for the suggestion. DNS can be a very detailed subject and finding exactly what you need can be very time consuming. At the moment I'm considering the Windows option but will keep that as a plan B.

You could also use a network device to serve up your DNS as well. Anther thing are you using a domain or workgroup?

The typical way (and likely THE way you'll have to do it unless totally bleeding edge)... is to configure the DCHP server to do TSIG updates to the DNS server. You have to configure both sides.... this uses an interim technique where a dhcp owernship hash is placed as a TXT record inside of DNS (just so you know who owns what). We run ISC BIND and DHCP here... it works and is a very reasonable solution.

For some hints (where some of the file format might be a tad old, but still)... here:

NTLUG | SSO / DhcpdConf browse

and

NTLUG | SSO / NamedConf browse