/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck:
touch /reconfigure, reboot
reboot -r
editing st.conf, reboot
The SCSI card is
While booting, it will initally come up and say "Tape Drive Detected - SCSI Port 1 - SCSI ID 3. However toward the end of the boot process it says "Smart Array 5i Controller - WARNING: Bus=1 Device =3 Function=0"
I hope some of this information is helpful. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

CV

what does mt stat show?

It gives the following:
/dev/rmt/0n: No such file or directory

first bring the system to the OBP and check whether the drive can be probed or not.
eg on Sun h/w , you will do probe-scsi-all
or from the OS,type the cfgadm -all ,
the tape drives and fc modules should up as connected/configured

cfgadm -al returns the following:

Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition
pci4:hpc0_slot0 unknown connected unconfigured unknown
pci4:hpc0_slot1 unknown connected unconfigured unknown
usb0/1 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb0/2 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb0/3 unknown empty unconfigured ok
usb0/4 unknown empty unconfigured ok

In addition, I have the system running in Single User Mode, but the "probe" command doesn't work. Are there other commands that I can use to get some useful information?

Nope, you're wrong. Do a probe-scsi-all from the ok> prompt (this is for solaris / sun h/w)
For HP, think you will need to install the driver perhaps..

Ok, let me rephrase it: I've not gotten probe to work as of yet. I'm not running Sun H/W, so when I'm in Single User Mode there isn't an ok> prompt. However when I do attempt to run probe-scsi-all from SUM, it tells me "probe: command not found" because I'm actaully at the root prompt.

I know.. That's why I said to check for any possible drivers that you need to install. Forget about probing anymore.