deleted all files - rm *

Hi All,

I am using Fedora Core and Windows Xp. I deleted all the files from root
directory. When i am trying to restart the computer it showing some grub > prompt. What i will do ? I have lots of data in XP OS.

Please help me

i used
# rm *

I don't think you can recover the files which got deleted from rm* unless you have a backup..

I don't think so either. Sorry, it's lost.

rm stands for remove and the star fits every file --> everything is gone

There's nothing you can do except reinstall.

But i deleted the files from fedora core OS.

How it deleted files from Windows Xp

---------- Post updated at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:33 PM ----------

when i am restarting the machine, it is showing GNU GRUB and grub > command prompt

---------- Post updated at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:42 PM ----------

I read the manual of GRUB. But i'm not getting the exact solution.

Ah, you mean WinXP. I don't think Win is gone though. But you have to boot it from grub then? Maybe take a look at grub manual?
GNU GRUB Manual 0.97

imposible to delete windows files its different format

grub> unhide (hd0,0)
grub> hide (hd0,1)
grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
grub> chainloader +1
grub> makeactive
grub> boot

it resolves the issue.

---------- Post updated at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:05 PM ----------

Thanks fisfia. Thanks a lot, realy it's good mannual.

---------- Post updated at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:07 PM ----------

when i'm trying to reboot my machine, the GRUB grub> shell comes everytime.

Every time i need to write this command mannualy. Is there any solution ?
grub> unhide (hd0,0)
grub> hide (hd0,1)
grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
grub> chainloader +1
grub> makeactive
grub> boot

Maybe he doesn't mean win is gone. He deleted Linux and now Win is still there but Grub is in the way when he tries to boot. That is how I understood the problem.

Try install/reinstall bootloader?

---------- Post updated at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:56 PM ----------

Yes you have to do that everytime probably becourse it doesn't look for boot at the right partition. When doing like that you swap it to the right place.

You need to create the file /boot/grub/menu.lst. In this file you need to create a stanza for Windows XP. The grub manual provides samples of how to do this.