Dd (raw) image of SCO 5.0.6 mount as second hdd

Hi all
I have read about mounting crashed HDD from a sco system in this forum. However this I received an image on raw format of the crashed system that was using an IDE HDD. Which method should I mount my image? IDE scsi or USB? The image is stores in an external connected through USB .

Also the tried to mount using red hat and the error told me the image file system is sysV GnU. Is this normal? I have never come across this file system type in my reading about sco.

Appreciate if you can give me tips to proceed my attempts to mount on a new sco machine. My goal is to read the data on the image of crashes sco system.

Thanks

Not too many folks know SCO - I'm one of those un-knowing types.

You can mount a native file core dump file (from SCO on another SCO box) as either USB or as an ISO image on cdrom. Core dumps DO NOT contain all of the file systems' data, just what was in memory at the time of the dump. If you need to do data recovery try:

1. mount the disk from the crashed system onto another SCO box as just a plain old ufs (or whatever filesystem it was ) filesystem. If the disk is slightly corrupted you can use tools like fsck to fix the file system.

2. send the disk to a data recovery service

If my answer seem weird, it is because I probably did not get what you wanted, and made bad assumptions.

Thanks jim. My doubt is how a fresh sco detects the image which is contained in an ntfs external HDD.
1 do I mount the USB drive first then search for the image through the mount point, then mount the crashed sco image
2 or I restore the image on a new IDE HDD first then have the fresh sco detect the IDE HDD?

Thank u for any idea

Thanks

USB data devices are only supported in 5.0.7 and 6.0.0
The most likely file system type is HTFS or EAFS, although lots of others are supported.
Use a Linux or windows based disk copy program to copy the image to an IDE disk, then install the IDE disk in the SCO system, as a second drive.
Run the following:
#mkdev hd
To add the drive to the kernel, then

#divvy
to define the file systems. Be very careful to not mark any file systems as 'new'.
When you run divvy you should see the existing partition limits, without any file system names.

Totally got it to work.

I think the key takeaway of this thread is I successfully converted the raw to vmdk and made vmware think its an ide drive. One tool example is raw2vmdk. I have not found anything to write dd to a real ide drive. Any thoughts? Must the drive be same size same model as the image?

Thanks for all ur response I can see the files in the crashed HDD.