Cygwin_openssh logging

Has anyone enabled Logging on cygwin_openssh? I uncommented Syslogfacility AUTH and loglevel VERBOSE in sshd_config , restarted but I still have not seen any logging???

Thanks in advance!

Do you see /etc/passwd in your cygwin file system? In other words, "who" does the authentication? Windows or cygwin? See the mkpasswd --help for more information.

mkpasswd indicates that, by default, Windows authenticates. You can force cygwin to authenticate. Never done it myself.

yes / etc/passwd exists. and authenticates.

Ok try:

find /etc -name auth.log

You will see ssh logging there. Next question: what do you want to see? That can be more interesting....

there is no /etc/ auth.log. so all I get is Windows Auditing which shows cyg_server failed.. doesnt really tell me who...
Do I need to touch it??

I'm confused. What problem are you trying to solve?
For example from the cygwin forums:

If so, search the cygwin.com site for your problem. I am not an expert on cygwin authentication and logging. It is somewhat unlike other unixes.

my problem too.. 20+ years in UNIX but cygwin_openssh on windows? LOL.. about 3 months...

Only logging I seem to be getting is thru Windows and again all I see there is cyg_server failed to login.. doesnt really say who the user is..