Creating an image of a mirrored disks

Hi guys,

I havent done this before but iam trying to create an image of a mirrorred drive.

Correct me if iam wrong, but when i have two disks setup in raid configuration and have them mirrored in solaris. It then defines at one entity.

How would i create a "flar" image of that one entity as two seperate drives? or do i have to create a flar image for indivudual drives seperately?

The other part of the question is how would you restore the flar image? (which i will ask next if i get the first question answered)

Thanks

You'd normally run the flarcreate over the mounted filesystems, rather than the underlying devices
eg something like:

flarcreate -n "my backup 31/7/2008" -c -R / -x /mounted-backup -S /mounted-backup/backup.flar

I've not had to do a flar restore but you can instruct JET (sun jumpstart framework) to use a flar by setting the base_config_products to "flash sds" (and provide the same SDS settings you used for the first jumpstart) and flash_archive_locations to an NFS url for your flar.

If you still want to take a backup of the data via the devices, you can either provide one of the two mirrors or the mirror metadevice itself, either will work just fine. When you do the restore, you can just restore it onto the main mirror metadevice, or if that's not created yet, the real disk device then mirror it up again. SDS is quite flexible like that :slight_smile:

Sing out if you need a hand with the process of breaking off a submirror or remirroring after the restore without interrupting service etc.

Thanks Mate.

Unfortunately, i only understand half of what you said.

If you can, can you provide the acroymn and step by step on how to do this for both create and restore mirrored images.

Thank you much appreicated !!!!

You can check the man pages for "flarcreate". The options "-c -R -x -S" used is explained clearly.