Create an unconfigured VMware host from a template that is set to do firstboot --reconfig

I have an Oracle Linux 7.1 vsphere host built. It's be preconfigured with our security configurations.

What I would like to do is unconfigure this host. Then set the host to do firstboot --reconfigure.

how do I do that using /etc/sysconfig/firstboot?

I've tried setting

RUN_FIRSTBOOT=RECONFIG 

in /etc/sysconfig/firstboot

then doing:

systemctl enable firstboot-graphical.service 

but this just brings up the ULNconfig options.

anyone got any ideas?

NOTE: to anyone not aware, Oracle LINUX is really just a rebranded Red Hat.

Here is what Red Hat recommends: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red\_Hat\_Enterprise\_Virtualization/3.0/html/Evaluation\_Guide/Evaluation\_Guide-Create\_RHEL_Template.html

1 Like

that didn't work, I presume because of the differences between 6 and 7. Thanks for the input though... I'll post something if I figured out.

Have you installed the VMware deployPkg plug-in?

Perhaps you could try a cloning tool, such as Storix (which I like) or Christie Clone Manager (which I've heard of but never used)

Others may be available.

Robin

yes, didn't help.

Moderator comments were removed during original forum migration.

in normal circumstances I would agree with you, but in this case. That's all the answer I can give. The goal here is to create an unconfigured VMware template that boots with the firstboot reconfiguration GUI. None of the options so far offered have done that, nore have they produced any errors. The host just boots up normally like nothing has been attempted.

this bugzilla ticket looks relevant: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1194155

2 Likes

I have an oracle SR opened on this and this was their answer:

I referred them to the bug you mentioned. I'll post what they say.

#1. login in as root (not listed?)
#2. remove all users
#3. remove root passwd

# passwd -d root 

#4. set passwd for root to expire, forcing a reset on next login

# passwd -e root 

#5. sys-unconfig

then convert to template.

this will force the firstboot GUI on boot, then you su - in a terminal and set the passwd for root when you su - the first time.