cpu fatal fault

HI guys, I have a very old Sun Ultra 10 box at home I have been using as a backup server via Samba and admining via webmin, all it does it store data on a IDE 160 gig drive. I have been using it for years and years and all has been good till now, its running Solaris 9 on it. I only turn it on when needed, but last week I noticed it was not coming up. I normally dont have a monitor on it and I just manually map a drive to the Samba share.

When the map timed out and I could not connect via webmin i looked at the boot process via a monitor and I say a fatal CPU panic. I am assuming here that a CPU has finally failed. My problem is that I dont have another SUN box that I can use to mount it and get all my important backup data off.

so my question, how am I going to get the data off? I can pull the IDE drive out but how am I going to view and read it?:wall:

any idea guys?

thank you in advance peeps

Quite a few of the Sun 10's had faulty CPU's (the 333mhz I believe).
To recover I believe you can mount the disk using Linux (some info here), however there does seem to be some questions about intel/sparc combo's in there. I would say mount it read-only and just try it. You may even find that there is a Linux recovery boot-cd out there that can read Sun UFS, in which case you wont even have to install linux. Another option is to buy an old used Ultra 10 - they are really cheap these days on ebay, and you could plug the drive striaght in.

I hope this helps...

1 Like

thank you, I am in New zealand so I am pretty limited for sun 10's here, I will try the linux options thank you!

yeah, they seem to be around $100 NZ, which seems a little steep to me. Perhaps there is someone else from NZ on unix.com that could offer a "disk read" service ? Unfortunately you're on the other side of the planet to me....anyhew...good luck with the linux option.

I know that I'm quite a distance from you, but I am pretty sure that i have a U5 and a U10 at home collecting dust. If you're interested, I could send you a CPU. Let me know and I'll take a look at what I have. Just pay the shipping. You can have either box, just the CPU or anything in between.

oh man, you are the best mate!

I would not mind having the whole 10 box, do you know if its got a switchable power supply and take our 240 v?

I'll dig it out over the weekend and post back. Are you using IDE or SCSI in your's? I think my U10 has a SCSI card and disks.

hi, thank you! scsi for the system disks and IDE for the samba share disk
:slight_smile:

I was able to dig out the Ultra 5. It has a 360MHz CPU and 256MB(60 ns) memory. I'll work on the Ultra 10. But, I suspect that it will be pretty much the same.
If you're still interested, let me know.

HI yes I am keen , just need to know how much its going to cost to get it here, if its going to be crazy expensive I guess I will just take the cpu

thank you!!!

To ship a 35lb. package from Chicago, IL U.S. to Wellington NZ will be $450-$500! :eek:

lol ya I thought as much, just the cpu then eh? lol