Converting existing SCO V.5.0.5 to a VM

I have an old SCO v.5.0.5 system that is getting very long in the tooth and I am wanting to convert it to a VM and run it. What would be the best platform for taking that on? I've done some crazy things with Hyper-V, XenServer, VMWare and KVM, but looking for what would do it best.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

ditto.... if anyone has done this successfully

I actually did this last week on a 5.0.4 system. The only thing that hung me up was the IDE driver. Trick is to install the VM compatible scsi driver before you shutdown the physical machine, then at boot: hd=Sdsk Sdsk=blc(0,0,0,0)
replace blc with whatever the scsi controller should be. I am putting together a write-up of what I did right now in fact. Will post back when I have something ready.

1 Like

Could you post the summary?
I want to convert a physical Unix machine to a virtual.

1 Like

ditto...I too want to convert from a physical sco UNIX server to VM...

Thanks!!!

Tuned in watching !

What?

meaning , I will be keeping an eye on this post.
as I would like to be able to run sco5.0.x in a Vm too. :slight_smile:

All,
Im still not fully done, But feel as though my install is far enough I can post some good results.

Host platform:MacMini. (Tried Windows but no luck eventually gave up :frowning: )
Host/VM software: Oracle VirtualBox

Installed VB 4.1.18 (no problems)
During the install I had problems getting the VM/SCO to recognize the right drive geometry. but now have a 60Gb drive secondary drives are np either.

The OS is up and running so far no hiccups.
Sam

1 Like