Control Cores/CPUs used in Linux instance on VMware

We have a production setup where we have RHEL instances on VMware. We have 2 RHEL instances on VMware now each having 4 CPUs/cores each. I want to put up another RHEL instance but my query is that can we allocate only 1 CPU/core for the new instance.

I hope, my query is clear that can we allocate only 1 CPU/core to the new instance.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards

I wouldn't recommend this method for disabling CPU's at run-time since I've never tried it myself and I've had bad luck doing the same with using sysfs to remove HDD objects without a reboot (I got a Kernel Panic). There is also the "maxcpus" kernel parameter for limiting the number of CPU's available for use.

If you're going to do that last one, though, it would require a reboot obviously. But why not just shut the VM down after hours, reduce the number of CPU's on the VMWare side and then boot back again?

Are you asking if you can allocate only one core from a host CPU to the new instance?

Yes, thanks for getting it right. I was asking if we can allocate only one core from a host CPU to the new instance.