connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Hi All,

We use tomcat web server and it will get terminated with below error:

connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Please let me know how to fix this error.

This is generic error message, I've seen it when dealing with X, but there's nothing, I guess, you can do to fix the error, this most probably means that the server has been overloaded, and got powered off, or rebooted.

I have this problem too! It happens every time I shut a putty or ssh window. Worse still is it shuts down Tomcat. I have 14 servers total all with the same configuration, but this problem only occurs on 2. I don't know why, and I can't seem to solve it. With the current behavior, they're just bricks. Help Anyone??

Hm, old thread resurrected. I still can't answer the question with exact precision, what I'd do in such situation (when "the roof is on fire"): examine all logs, or as much as I can, make sure that there isn't an application that may be causing this, ensure that I'm the only one, or if any other trusted person, to access the server with root or other privileges, examine the possibilities of upgrading this server to the latest software (that helps sometimes), or last resort - clean install of the whole server - start with the OS and then the used software. Contact respective vendors, if applicable. Do a hardware troubleshooting (memory, disks, controllers). Be extremely cautious when doing something like this on a production server.

I just run into this exact problem. I was installing tomcat and an application for radiological image transfer and whenever an image was processed tomcat would fail with the same error message.
I was remotely logged in to the server running tomcat using ssh -Y, to redirect the display to my local computer. I exited ssh and reconnected this time without the -Y option, I restarted tomcat and everything just worked.
I am not sure what happened, tomcat seemed to be trying to display something on the remote display and that failed?
I hope that helps.

This looks like tomcat is trying to open a GUI in X and you do not have X forwarded properly or not at all. The "-Y" switch just enables trusted X11 forwarding however you still need an X running on the client and the client must be "trusted". You may have to run "xhost +" or "xhost + <servername>" on the server (not client) to allow X to be attached to from a remote server/session.

Have you tried VNC rather than ssh to run this application?