Connect GPS to serial port AIX 5.x

HI,
Does anyone installed a GPS from his Serial port to an IBM Server serial port with AIX 5.X
I would like the rs232 configuration you used on the GPS, and the ttys configuration from your server.
Thanks in advance !!!

It is not that simple.

GPSbable is a software package to handle the multitude of issues moving internal GPS formats to a common format then sending the data via a usb or serial port to a PC.

The same problems exist for AIX <-> GPSr.

What EXACT model of GPS do you have?

Example : Garmin GPSMAP Csx76 would be an answer.

Also note: you may have to use a windows box as an intermediate. GSAK is a good, free program for that.

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) for downloads.

Hi,
We are using a Symmetricom GPS time and frecuency receiver. Model XL-DC
Connecting a laptop to the serial port of the GPS and using hyperterminal, I can see that the GPS sends info. But for some reason using the same parameters in the AIX tty0 server port, Im not able to see if the port is receiving the info from the GPS, so I dont know if the settings in the server are correct.
Once you have conected the GPS to the serial port of your server, how do you test the connection, how to you know if the server are receiving the info from the GPS. Consider that we are using AIX 5.x
Thanks again.

What are these "same parameters"?

How are you checking the port?

GPS devices tend to be 9600 N81, afaik.

What I mean with same parameters is as you said, configure in AIX the tty port with 9600 N81.

I used fuser command.

Cause Im new in this matter, Im investigating as much as I can, and use this forum to get some help :smiley:

9600 n81 isn't actually what it's called in UNIX though, just the colliqual use, plus there are lots more options to consider.

What did you actually see, and what did you actually do?

Hi,
What we done is remove all the ttys, but in one of them, a message appears saying that is busy, so we worked on that port. The server has an application that we cant access their configuration. We only know that the program receives the info from the serial port, connected to the GPS, and show it on the screen with other information. We tried a lot of configurations, finally one worked 1200/odd/7/1. We even didnt know from which serial port this program took the info.
Thanks for all your recommendations !!!

That's a very "odd" configuration indeed, but if it works I can't really argue with it. :slight_smile:

Is your question solved to your satisfaction then?

Yes, thank you !!

1 Like