Congrats to RudiC - 3000 Thanks!

Congratulations to RudiC for crossing the magic boundary of being thanked 3000 times! As someone who often has profited greatly from your insight i stand in awe before this achievement.

Thank you for your ongoing dedication and thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge!

bakunin

PS: ...and you must have too much time on your hands :wink:

6 Likes

Yes... 3000 thanked posts and over 10,000 posts. Both are big milestones.

Thank you, RudiC, for the help you have provided all of us. :b:

1 Like

Well done RudiC...

You have given much to the site and the thanks from others prove as such.

Congrats...

1 Like

Hello RudiC sir,

Congratulations for your great achievement(It is really a BIG one), I want to tell you THANK you for your great participation/knowledge sharing/guidance in here these forums.
You are one of the BEST MODs here :b:. Keep Rocking.

Here is my wishes in coding style too.

awk 'BEGIN{printf("%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c %c%c%c%c%c 
%c%c%c %c%c%c %c%c%c%c %c%c%c%c%c %c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c %c%
c%c %c%c%c%c%c\n",67,111,110,103,114,97,116,117,108,97,116,105,111,110,115,
82,117,100,105,67,115,105,114,102,111,114,116,104,105,115,103,114,101,97,116,97,99,
104,105,101,118,101,109,101,110,116,44,121,111,117,82,79,67,75,46)}'

Output will be:

Thanks,
R. Singh

1 Like

Congrats Rudic :wink:

1 Like

Thank you RudiC...

You are such a valuable team member and have given so much of your valuable time to everyone at unix.com.

Well done!

1 Like

Well, thanks to all of you ! It is and has been so much fun to be and contribute in here - can't be overestimated.

And, while, yes, some time has been spent in here, I have to admit that I learned much more from all of you than I think I contributed. Having been a VMS - and some ORACLE - person in ancient times I was relatively new to *nix when I dropped by. Luckily I could apply some of my experiences from old times in these forums. My firm belief is that curiosity, creativity, and logic thinking are THE BASICS to - not only - our professional branch / subfield.

6 Likes

Way to go RudiC! Congratulation with these major milestones.. Well done! Keep 'm coming :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep it up and thanks for the knowledge shared.

How many times have a started a response, only to press back button due to RudiC :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don't press the back button - share your approach!

I recently started looking at the "Who's online" page to see who might already be replying to the thread.

Question to the administrators: Is it possible to show a "someone's working on this thread" message if you open an edit screen?

Hi.

Is that to be different from the message "Replying to ...", like:

Replying to Thread
Password management 

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

Hi RudiC & drl,
You might see something like "Replying to Thread ..." if you are looking at the "Current activity" section close to the top of a member's home page, but we don't see anything like that when composing a response to a post in a thread nor when looking at the unix.com "Home" page nor "New Topics" page. (Or is there some other spot that contains this information that I haven't noticed yet?)

Before posting a response, I usually hit the "Go Advanced" button and I hit "Preview Post" before submitting a response and then I check to see if any new replies have appeared in the "Topic Review" section just before I hit the "Submit Reply" button. Even doing that, it sometimes happens that I submit a reply seconds before or after someone else (most frequently Chubler_XL, bakunin, RavinderSingh13, RudiC, Scrutinizer, or jim mcnamara).

But, since I often start responding to a post and get distracted by a phone call, a meeting, or a meal; I don't want the fact that I have started drafting a response to a post to keep anyone else from trying to help that thread's submitter before I get back to that issue.

1 Like

I was thinking of just a tiny informative/warning message line with the same contents you can see in the "Who's online" screen (so the info is available, as drl pointed out):

It's just to make it a bit more comfortable - everybody can have this info, but in another screen. And, it doesn't mean a new post is going to come in the next few minutes or at all; the replyer can quit any time without posting anything.

Thanks for your valuable idea using the "Topic Review" list for recent updates - I've seen that before but never thought of using it this way other than by coincidence.

It goes to show that some statistics are useful, meaningful and important. Well done on the 3,000 (and counting) :b:thanks.

It makes my paltry 500~ish somewhat embarrassing. :o

Kind regards,
Robin

1 Like

Hi, Don.

Just to be clear, this message appears in the Who's Online screen for logins that are currently replying to a post.

I don't use it to avoid conflicting posts because I am not that fast at replying to threads :slight_smile: ... cheers, drl

Hi Robin,
Every Thanks is a big win. Don't be embarrassed by 523+ Thanks on 2,874 posts! You're doing well and we look forward to you reaching the 3,000 thanks and/or 10,000 posts milestones. :wink:

• Don
2 Likes