Conflict with PIDs

I am trying to determine the root cause of a java process that dies trying to startup during it's cron job.

I did go ahead and change the time that it starts up in the cron file and now it starts successfully.

However is there a way to determine what PID a process was attempting to get when it failed?

There never will be a pid conflict on launching a process in a stable system. Does your code expect to have a given pid? Or find a given pid somewhere? pids do not generally cause aborts.

What error are you getting?

That's one of the problems we are not getting any errors in any of the logs accept of the specific process and it just says process stopped.

But it's when it's trying to pick up a pid it stops

That doesn't make much sense. A process is getting a pid affected to it before starting to do anything on its own. The only issue that might affect that would be a process table full (30000 by default but can be increased to 999999 if I recall correctly).

Why not add some logging

15 17 * * 1,2,3,4,5  /local/home/appworx/admin/ctl.shl 2&>1 > /local/home/appworx/admin/ctl.log

This is a sample crontab entry that logs the activity of /local/home/appworx/admin/ctl.shl

I wasn't really in a position to add anymore logging as I am not the sys admin.

Thanks for all of your help.