configuring NTP in Solaris/Windows/Linux environment.

Can anybody please explain the below table to monitor NTP daemon status

This contains many columns like remote,refid,st....various values corresponding to those columns

If possible provide me any link to study about these quantities clearly.

It is very much required for my project please help me

# ntpq -p

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset    disp

==============================================================================
NTP.MCAST.NET 0.0.0.0 16 - - 64 0 0.00 0.000 16000.0
*yarrina.connect ntp.sydney.nmi. 2 u 49 128 377 3.02 0.429 0.44
+warrane.connect ntp.melbourne.n 2 u 68 128 377 19.01 0.851 0.66
#

for clarity iam separating columns with minus "-" symbols

# ntpq -p
remote ------------- refid --------------st ----t -----when ----poll ---reach ----delay -------offset -----disp

NTP.MCAST.NET -----0.0.0.0 -----------16 ----- -------------- 64 --------0 ------0.00 ---0.000 ----16000.0
*yarrina.connect ----ntp.sydney.nmi. ---2 ------u -------49 ----128 ----377 -----3.02-------0.429 -------0.44
+warrane.connect ---ntp.melbourne.n ---2 -----u --------68 ----128 ----377 -----19.01 -----0.851 -------0.66
#s

You can use

tags to make your output formatted like the terminal output.  The NTP daemon is usually packaged with several README files in HTML format. If not, Google turned up the top link: http://www.ntp.org/documentation.html

"st" is "stratum" -- the lower, the more authoritative. "remote" is obviously the name of the NTP server the rest of the line refers to. "refid" is complicated to explain. "poll" is how often the NTP sever in question is asked about the time. "when" means how many more seconds until the poll time is reached (or how many seconds ago it was last reached). "reach" means whether the site in question is reachable -- zero means it isn't; the others are various metrics used by NTP to calculate the actual time. The "offset" means how much the remote server's clock differs from the local clock. The "delay" means how many tics it takes for a packet from "there" to reach "here", which is important in determining how to interpret offset. Not sure what "disp" is, but often you see "jitter" which means how consistent the delay values is. So the real time is something like:

Local-clock-time + OFFSET - DELAY +/- JITTER

but I doubt it's that simple.

A small correction if i may: it's the other way round, the lower the number the higher in the hierarchy it is. Stratum 1 servers usually get their time from an atomic clock or similar.

Thanks, Pludi. item corrected.