configuring boot server

Hi experts,

I want to configure a boot server, tried googling for some document for steps and all leads to JumpStart server.

Any help with be much appreciated

Thanks

Please read the rules... Simple rules of the UNIX.COM forums:

Thanks for the link and reminding for the rules !!

Afraid to say that again its leading to same all these document talk about insattlaion over the network, however i am looking for boot server!!!!!

I hope this is useful. Its not about jumpstart here.
Creating a Boot Server on a Subnet With a CD Image (Solaris 9 Installation Guide) - Sun Microsystems

Thanks for the link.

Howevr still ist not working, i did below

1../setup_install_server -b boot_dir_path
2. Shared the boot directory , place the required entry into the /etc/dfs/dfstab 
3. Enter the ethernet address on the boot server /etc/ethers  as address hostname 
4. Entry has been place inside /etc/hosts for hostname and ip 

After that, when i am executing boot net on ok prompt of client i am getting error 
Timeout Waiting for ARP/RARP Packet

1.Is the entry in the ethers file the top most? (sometimes it works)
2.Take a look at the /etc/nsswitch.conf and verify the ethers and hosts entry has "files" as the first argument.
3.Restart NFS service

Still no luck

Now i have change the system and make the entry as 1st in /etc/ethers

/etc/nsswitch.conf is pointing towards file for every thing

in case of nfs i can mount the share inside the system with the help of mount , so dont see any issue with NFS services.

All i am getting is

retrying ... check TFTP server and network setup

Not sure, do we require /etc/bootprams and /tftpboot !!! What these files contains and whats there utility. I don't have either of them file in my system !!

---------- Post updated at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:02 PM ----------

Would like to add some more. on the server which i am configuring as bootserver do we require tfpd services on?
I tried enabling it by un-commenting the line from the /etc/inet/inetd.conf and restarted the indetd services still i cant see this service with inetadm neither with svcs !!!!

/etc/bootparams - Provide boot, identification info
/tftpboot - have tftp uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf

do we need /etc/bootprams and /tftpboot in case of bootserver also? and do we require ant template too for booting? :confused:

Also, i tried starting the tftpd protocol by un - commenting the link in /etc/inetd.conf and restarting the service inetd with svcadm, however no luck :rolleyes:

The issue was with the tftp as i was struggling to get this service listed in smf, the solution to enable the service un -commenting the tftp line in /etc/inetd.conf and then running the command inetconv created the xml file required for smf and make it available which can be listed with svcs or inetadm.

Thought sharing with you ppl.