configure errors

Hi all,
I'm compiling mysql in my solaris8 box with gcc, when i run configure, i get the following errors,
checking whether C compiler(gcc ) works...no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables

can somebody help me solve this problem? many many thanx!

yes it means that gcc installation is not complete. This can be caused by many reasons. I.e. if you downloaded gcc as binary for your OS, it is supposed that you had the full cc compiler by the vendor of the OS. When it happened on my AIX, in fact "as" assembler was missing and i installed the vendors cc (vacc) and everything went OK.
You have to download the source of gcc and compile it. In your case it is very possible that it is not the "as" that is missing. Find what it is by downloading the gcc source. This "configure" scripts usually exposes exactly what the problem is. hope this helps

thalex> thank you for you reply :wink:

i think that's the way, when i ls the /usr/ccs/bin directory, i found there is not as, ar...etc except ld & m4 ;(
(but i've found them in a solaris7 box before.)
i think i should install binutils that include these binnary such as as,ar...

ps,
i need a gcc to compile a gcc to work for me, it's a nice ideal :wink:

The same error
i've installed the binutils, but still mysql cannot "./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql" correctly,
and i post my $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH,

# echo $PATH
/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.8/2.95.3

could somebody can help me find the errors?

Is the message still cannot create executables? paths are ok. Sometimes vendors like SUn or HP have a native non ansi C compiler with small subset of include files. Thats why I tols you if you can compile the gcc source. Plus, the configure script of gcc gives extra details why you cant create executables. It may give you what exactly is missing...