Compilation on SunOs5.7 using gcc 3.3.5

I have the following declaration in file named vx_solaris.h
(Path : /usr/share/src/tpkgs/veritas/solaris_sparc/include/sys/fs/vx_solaris.h)

typedef (*vx_creatfptr_t)(struct vnode *, char *, struct vattr *, vcexcl_t, int, struct vnode **, vx_cred_t *, int);

I include vx_solaris.h in one of the files. I get the following error.

/usr/share/src/tpkgs/veritas/solaris_sparc/include/sys/fs/vx_solaris.h: At global scope:
/usr/share/src/tpkgs/veritas/solaris_sparc/include/sys/fs/vx_solaris.h:254: error: ISO
C++ forbids declaration of `vx_creatfptr_t' with no type

I am using gcc3.3.5. I can't edit the file vx_solaris.h

Can you please suggest me which flag can help me get rid of the �no type� error.

This looks like a valid error to me. Even if you get it to compile with no warnings this code probably will generate a fatal error during run time.

Just because a compiler makes an exectuable doesn't mean that it will work flawlessly.
Don't just edit the header file ... [plus, why can you not edit files?]

Thanks for the reply.

The file vx_solaris.h is in /usr/share/src/tpkgs/...... I am not suppose to change that.

In my code base, my file vxfs.cpp includes the file vx_solaris.h
(Path : /usr/share/src/tpkgs/veritas/solaris_sparc/include/sys/fs/vx_solaris.h)

The compilation of vxfs.cpp fails with following error.
/usr/share/src/tpkgs/veritas/solaris_sparc/include/sys/fs/vx_solaris.h: At global scope:
/usr/share/src/tpkgs/veritas/solaris_sparc/include/sys/fs/vx_solaris.h:254: error: ISO
C++ forbids declaration of `vx_creatfptr_t' with no type

It has to be some flag which i am missing on my side.

It looks like you are trying to install the vxfs filesystem from Veritas. Right?
We have Veritas on some of our boxes, and we got help from them.

If it is a compiler flag - it must be one like -DOS_UNIX -DPLAT_SUN ( I made these up, we have Veritas on HPUX). The -D<whatever> forces a #define to be created for the precompiler. Is there any readme or help file you have?

yes right....I am trying to install the vxfs filesystem

There is no help file as such.
I was just wondering if any gcc flag from

http://www.hmug.org/man/1/gcc.php

can resolve this issue.

Thanks again.

-fpermissive resolves this issue....