Comments on "How Will the World End?"

I have read the sun-expansion scenario numerous places but I've never read any suggestion that the earth's orbit would increase to avoid being scorched. What mechanism would push it out?

As for creating a black hole by the LHC, the whole concept is silly so any number of reasons would rule it out, but it still counts as something that was proposed that would destroy the earth, not just people.

Ah! I hope no one minds segueing away from the topic for a moment.

I read Joao Magueijo's book and found it both fascinated and disturbing.

But on the other hand, Magueijo reveals something disturbing about the scientific community. When he suggests the very notion that the speed of light might not be a fundamental, bedrock, constitutional constant of the universe, scientists of all stripe summarily reject him. Or they turn around and run.

This is a religious reaction. He has revealed that many scientists of today hold to a religious belief that they are not willing to even discuss alternatives to.

It's not the end of the world, so to speak, but I found that revelation shocking.

---------- Post updated at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:32 AM ----------

Comment to Moderator:

I don't see anything in the rules that would suggest my deleted statement shouldn't be a very appropriate part of this discussion. It was needed to balance the "but on the other hand" statement that followed. It was a historical statement and my opinion of it's implication. It was positive and it didn't even counter anything any other participant said. It's also offensive that my good and honest opinion should be rubbed out like profanity.

BTW, the very concept of the End of the World is a religious concept. It's impossible to discuss it without it being a religious discussion whether you quote any religious leaders or not. But what could possibly be wrong with that?

There's been no arrogance, shouting or name calling in this thread that I can see. But the censorship casts a negative shadow on the forum.

No, it is not.

The concept of the world ending, as per this thread and poll, is purely scientific. There is nothing religious in the thread.

... and, as the very long standing custom and culture of this site, religious discussions are not permitted.

These forums are for technical and scientific discussions and the question about "the world ending" is purely scientific and technical; religious posts and comments will be deleted.

Actually, the reason you don't see any "name calling" or other negative posts is because they have been promptly deleted by moderators.

FWIW, Here is a forum blog post from Oct 2010, We Run a Tight, but Very Effective, Ship.

2 Likes

Neo, you're being inconsistent.
But to try to introduce a modicum of consistency, please delete the word "Religious" from "Crazy people unleash a deady Virus (Politics, Religion)" (and correct the spelling of "deadly"), and "Spiritual" from "Other (Personal, Spiritual)".

OK. Deleted.

I appreciate your tight ship very much, Neo. I like this forum. And I suppose you are tiring of this part of the discussion.

But the particular statement that was deleted above was in no way a violation your tight ship policy. It did not in any way disrespect, disparage or trample the rights of anyone else. Also, the deletion violates this paragraph that you quoted above:

I'm not advocating purely religious discussions here, but all topics of discussion bump into religion. I know some people get vicious when anything of a remotely religious nature is mentioned. But it is their comments that should be deleted, not the good.

I encourage you to run a good and fair tight ship, not a mean tight ship.

Our policy (culture) is not to permit religious discussions.

We don't consider this "mean" in the least. It is our policy and all of our moderators support it.

This policy is not going to change, period. Thank you for your comments; but there is no way we are going to permit religious discussions here.

OBTW, I completely disagree with your very wrong statement, "all topics of discussion bump into religion"... that is only true in the minds of people who have strong religious beliefs. These "strong religious beliefs" are not permitted in these forums.

My strong irreligious "beliefs" have been deleted as well when (in)appropriate, so it's hard to claim favoritism.

First of all I'm not trying to start war here,But when I stumbled by this thread I couldn't leave without saying a word.
But I totally agree with KenJackson .
And agree with Neo in some points especially from the article from the blog.
Anyways I'll stop here and say no word.