Commands to copy a tar.gz file from a Remote Unix Server to Local Desktop.

Hi,

Just wanted to know, how can I ftp/transfer/copy a (design.tar.gz) archive from a Unix Server (sdmc222.sdmc.cp-srv.com) which is at a remote location, to my Windows Desktop. Obviously, it is not possible at cmd prompt on my Windows using the following commands :-

ftp sdmc222.sdmc.cp-srv.com
ftp> pwd
ftp> lcd c:\
ftp> bin
ftp> get password
ftp>

as the above Unix Server is not a Local Server.

I know that this can be done using WinSCP or using a SARA client with VPN,
but just wanted to know all the commands(using both WINSCP and SARA with VPN), which have to be used to copy (design.tar.gz) archive from one of the directories on the Remote Unix Server (sdmc222.sdmc.cp-srv.com) to my local Windows Desktop or C:/

Request you to please let me know all the commands.

Thanks a lot in advance.

With Best Regards,
Marconi.

you can use ssh. If you are running on a windows client, you can download a free copy of ssh called putty and pscp from PuTTY Download Page. putty is the login client and pscp is the file copy.

Then, you can type:

pscp user_id@remote_system:path_to_file local_name

so for example, if I wanted to retrieve the /etc/profile from the remote system "gandalf" and my user id is joe1234, I can type:

pscp joe1234@gandalf:/etc/profile profile

you will be prompted for a password most likely unless the system is set up to use certificates.

putty is also a much better client than telnet both from a usability and security standpoint.

Hope this helps.

You can install openssh for Windows32, which gives you only command-line utilities. From here, you could do something like:

scp username@sdmc222.sdmc.cp-srv.com:password C:\\

In order for this to work without a password, you'll need to create a .shosts file containing the windows username and hostname. The .ssh/known_hosts file must contain the window's host key.

wget URL