command line history of others

As a newbie sys admin, how do i find out what other login session command line history, what are the commands they used?

Thanks.
leim

It depends on the shell, AFAIK.

You could look in ~user/.history if it's been saved. I know that works for [t]csh, and I think bash does the same thing. Not sure of the other shells.

Hi,

You can login as super user on a Unix box and can use History command to check the command line history of other users. If you want to check for last N commands of a user you can give:

history 5

This will show last five commands executed by user.

Please search Google for more information as Goggle is your best freind.

I am providing you with one link which you can refer:
History Command

Thanks,
Shazin

Try:

more ~username/.bash_history
more ~username/.sh_history

With AIX the standard shell for users is the Korn shell. bash, [t]csh and other shells may or may not be installed, but ksh can be relied to be there. You can also find out the login shell of a user by one of the following two commands:

lsuser -a shell <username> | sed 's/^.*shell=//'

cat /etc/passwd | grep wolf | cut -d':' -f7

If the shell is ksh the history is stored per default in a file called ".sh_history" in the users home directory. It is possible to override this default by setting and exporting a variable called "HISTFILE", which wil have to point to a writable file. This file wil become the history file instead if the variable is set, usually in "~/.profile" or in "~/.kshrc", which wil both be executed at login (.kshrc every time a shell starts, .profile only at login time).

I hope this helps.

bakunin