code tags

The use of code tags is not a forum rule, it's listed under "Additional helpful guidelines", yet there is thankfully (almost always) a moderator on hand to remind the poster to use them when they don't.

Who hasn't misread a post, or not bothered reading one because it doesn't have code tags?

My suggestion is that it should be a rule, not a guideline.

Code that loses its indentation due to not using [code] tags renders is difficult to read, yes but for simple code or code segments (e.g. one line) it is not essential IMHO.

I agree. But I was reading a post (without code tags) and it was hard to read. By the time I was about to answer it, the code had changed so my answer would have been based on the wrong code - all because it was hard to read in the first place.

It isn't that difficult to use the code tags, IMHO. In fact, it saves so much of time for the readers going through the code (post) and increases the probability of giving a solution/approach to that question.

So, I had think its better to get notification via CODE tags.

IMO, it'll be harsh (specially to newbies) to define it as a rule, moderators voluntarily add code tags many times and user also becomes aware of the advantage of using code tags after few posts at forums.

This would give moderators an official rule stating they should do what they're doing already just to be helpful. I don't see a problem with that, its not like newbies would be banned left and right for not using code tags in their first posts. And there are occasional users who just plain won't use code tags despite repeated editing and pointed instructions; expecting moderators to do all the work for the sake of saving themselves ten keystrokes isn't fair.