Clustering Red Hat Enterprise linux Advanced Platform 5.2 (x86-64 bit)

Hello Professionals,

We have high-end HP rack servers. We need to provide application fail-over for business continuity.

We have done benchmarking of the application on RHEL 5.2 on HP servers to estimate the hardware requirement so as to meet next 3-5 years business growth.

Presently we have installed RHELAP 5.2 OS and cluster suite on all servers. Now while adding members for setting up fencing, we are facing following scenario.

1. On any one of the two servers, we see that the local server is active but the other server is shown as "Not a member".

2. Shutting down of one of the node is resulting into shutting of other server also. Whereas clustering concept is actually reverse of this.

We are using ILO port as a fencing device to achieve clustering.

ON discussions, we were told that we can do clustering over RHELAP 5.2 only using advanced ILO which is generally used for remote administration of servers. Secondly it involves licensing costs also for my organization.

Whereas the clustering is normally achieved by setting heartbeats over ethernet.

I would request you to suggest me any other alternate way to achieve this.

An early resolution would be highly appreciated.

KG

Can you post your cluster.conf file?

Also, for fencing use ipmi... that should just allow for the fencing of nodes via the ilo without needed the advanced pack.