CIFS Mount Problem in AIX 5.3 TL12 SP-01-1016

Hi all,

We are experiencing below mentioned error on mounting windows Share on AIX 5.3 when we migrate our TL from 8 to TL12-SP01, we also checked the allowed password length for mounting CIFS which is fine(10 characters in our case). On IBM fix central site there is a fix IZ63140 for Technology Level: 5300-12-00-1015 but we are already superseded that level which is 5300-12-01-1016.

When we revert our TL from 12 to TL 8, the windows share mounted without any error, but when we applied TL 12 again the same problem was observed.

Error:
There was an error connecting the share or the server. Make sure the lsdev command shows that device nsmb0 is in the Available state. Also make sure that share name,user name and password are accurate.

Anyone who also experienced this problem? or is there any solution available for that.

Regards,
Ahmed

Try the fix offered on the page which you mentioned. You are on the same TL so it should work just fine.

Regards
zxmaus

But 5300-12-01-1016 already includes the fix APAR IZ63140. So we don't need to apply it separately.

Regards

You can use those command to find if this APAR installed or not:

instfix -ivq | grep 63140

OR

instfix -ivqk IZ63140

Yes it is already installed, but still we are unable to mount cifs share

Starting from the beginning, I assume you already have the bos.cifs_fs fileset installed:

lslpp -l | grep -i bos.cifs_fs

Maybe there was a syntax change in how you are mounting the share. How are you attempting to mount it? I succesfully mount windows shares manually like this:

mount -v cifs -n rmt_hostname/rmt_user/rmte_password /rmt_share /mount/point

Once I've confirmed it is working, I add an entry to my /etc/filesystems to make it mount automatically after a reboot.

/local/mount:
        dev             = /rmt_share
        vfs             = cifs
        nodename        = rmt_hostname/rmt_user/rmt_password
        mount           = true
        type            = cifs
        options         = uid=100,gid=100,fmode=750
        account         = false

Yes we are mounting the share exactly as specified by you but in TL12 it gives error and when we reject TL12 filesets and go back to our previous TL8, the share mounted successfully without any error.
:wall:

Is your nsmb0 in the "Available" state after the upgrade?

hostname:/:# lsdev | grep nsmb0
nsmb0       Available       N/A

Do you see that your cifs fileset was upgraded as well?

Does this come back clean?:

lppchk -v

Hello,

Sorry to liven up an old thread but I too am having this issue and was wondering what the resolution was?

I'm wondering if the $ on the server's share is causing issues?

mount -v cifs -n serverIP/username/password /share$ /mnt/mountpoint/

"There was an error connecting the share or the server.
Make sure the lsdev command shows that device nsmb0 is in
the Available state. Also make sure that the share name,
user name and password are accurate."

aixclient:/:# lsdev | grep nsmb0 
nsmb0   Available       N/A

Now if I try to mount a public share to my PC instead of the server it doesn't return any error, but the mount point doesn't contain the shared files and it doesn't show up when you run the mount command.
What does happen is AIX creates a binary file called 'core' in the directory where it should have mounted to my machine.

Alas i can't help you with your original problem, but in this detail i can assure you it is correct. Windows names all its shares with a "$" at the end. For example, if you export "C:\" on "\\yourhost" you would see "\\yourhost\C$" remotely when browsing the network resources.

I'm not sure about more recent Windows-versions but at least NT 4.0 definitely had these shares (the local disks per default with "everybody/full control" rights on them and they were propagated as soon as you started the "server" service. This was a major security loophole back then. Most workstations could mount (for read/write even!) every other workstations harddisk without any password or other security in place.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

Hi bakunin,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately if I mount to a shared path without a $ (hidden share) the problem still occurs.