Changing Unix form to Microsoft Word form to be able to email it to someone.

Please someone I need information on how to change a Unix form/document into a microsoft word document in order to be emailed to another company. Please help ASAP. Thankyou :confused:

... here are some documents i found on the net that might help you get some info..

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~jplane/CMSC102/Fall2000/Projects/project2.html

its a quite long list, maybe you can read thru it. Anyway others might have some opinion on this matter.

You can write the text in Abi-word and save as a .doc-file (MS word). At least that's what I've heard :slight_smile:

check out http://www.abisource.com/

Check out StarOffice for similiar functionality to Abi-Word. It has done a decent job with Word Documents. I don't know about the new StarOffice 6.0, but 5.2 didn't support TrueType fonts out of the box.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can save a file as *.txt in UNIX then mailx it to the MS system. Then open the file as Word and save it as a *.doc file.

That should do what you need. Of course you will have to format the font from courier to something more pleasing.

I reserve the right to be wrong. As always.:wink:

I'm confused.... a "UNIX document" is simply an ASCII text file, right? MSWORD can easily import ASCII text files. I take files from UNIX systems and regularly read them into an MSWORD document, and then reformat if required.

Isn't this all the poster wants to do?

Neo,

Maybe this person really doesn't know. If they are a total newbie to UNIX.

If they chose they can even, cut and paste out of a telnet window, depending on the amount of text.

Cheraunm,

You should read my post that is the exactly what you need. If I understand you correctly. Just converting UNIX doc to WORD doc. Easy!!!

:slight_smile:

Yes, maybe you are right Magnus. Perhaps they don't know that when in MSWORD it is easy to open a text file (like the ones on all UNIX systems):

[list=1]
[]Move the text file from the UNIX platform to your desktop.
[
]Open MS WORD.
[]Click on "New --> Open."
[
]Change "Files of Type" to "All Files."
[]Go to the Desktop.
[
]Click on the text file you just placed on your desktop.
[]Click "Open."
[
]Save as an MS WORD doc file.
[/list=1]
That will import the text file into a new MS WORD doc and then save it.

You can then email using Outlook (or what ever) and add the file as an MS WORD attachment.

Alternatively, you can just attach the original text file as an attachment using MS Outlook (or other MS mail client).

And it also might be more complicated than that...
They could be trying to convert a troff formatted document to word format. Or some other proprietary format to a .doc.

What about even an HTML form that's served from a Unix-based webserver into a local document that's contained in a word doc...

There's no way anyone can speculate unless it's layed out completely...