Changing the way "more" works

Hi,

The "more" command is currently being used to display reports to users. However, "more" allows the user to shell out to the command prompt if they happen to type in "!" and they can also start editing the file if they type in "v". Is it possible to restrict users access to these by disabling the "!" and "v" options in "more"?
Otherwise, is there another command I can use which otherwise gives users the same look and feel to their reports as they are currently used to?

see whether 'pg' command can solve your problem.

You need to post a few clues with question. Like... What OS? What shell? etc.

My "more" gets its editor from the environment variable EDITOR. I don't see a shell escape being documented. Your "more" may use SHELL for that. Try changing these environment variables to /bin/false before invoking "more".

Point taken Perderabo. It does help if I supply useful information such as you suggested. I'll keep this in mind for my next post.

Thanks for your suggestion, bhargav. I played around with "pg" and the closest I came to replicating the look and feel of the "more" command was when using the "-srnp" options. Unfortunately, there are still marked differences between "pg" and "more" which would pose problems for our users.
However, the good news is that I have found that setting the following variables in my script before the call to "more" essentially disables the "v" and "!" commands.
SHELL=exit
EDITOR=exit

Thanks once again for your feedback.

Try the following

cat $* |more

Jerardfjay