Changing "rx_queue_number" in "ixgbe.conf". Reboot or Network Restart?

Hi all,

First post here. Working on Solaris 10, on a Sun t4-4, need to change RX queue depth(ethernet, not HBA) and was wondering if i could get by with just restarting the network or if i should just bounce the whole shebang.

Apologies if i missed a similar thread. if there is one, please direct me to it. please also help guide this to the right subcategory if this one is incorrect as well. (newbie problems:eek:)

Thanks in advance!

If it is a production box taking the network down and full reboot are not going to be that different from many users perspectives. Just the duration of downtime.

We used to reboot a big Solaris 10 Oracle server once every three months - we scheduled it for a Saturday. It solved problems with heap contention, for example.

The point is: reboot is not a bad thing, it has benefits other than helping with changed settings. You can and should find a way to do it periodically. You do lose /tmp directory
contents.

And if I understand what you did, either way should work - bounce/no bounce

1 Like

I think that a change of ixgbe.conf denotes a "ifconfig unblump" in order to really remove the driver from the kernel.
I wonder if this is done if you only restart services. A reboot is safer.