CD Bootable OS

Hi,
I want to create a CD that is bootable containing a working Linux OS ie OS runs from CD and not harddrive.

Will probably install Linux to a 650GB partition , including all the bits I need.
How would I then use this partition to create a working CD?
Ideas and Web sites with info very welcome.

Thanks

650GB partition?? If you have that much data filled up you won't be fitting it on a CD. You mean 650MB?
You can create a bootable GNU/Linux CD from scratch but it will require alot of understanding and decisions.
You may want to start out by learning from using anothers' build script to accomplish this.
There exist many LiveCD bootable versions' of Gnu/Linux, you might want to download and experiment with those first.

Linux Live Linux Live is a set of bash scripts which allows you to create own LiveCD from every Linux distribution. Just install your favourite distro, remove all unnecessary files (for example man pages and all other files which are not important for you) and then download and run these scripts.

SLAX is a small bootable CD containing the Linux operating system. All scripts and source code are available and can be used to build your own Live CD.

Gnoppix is a linux live cd based upon Ubuntu Linux. It can be compared to Knoppix but GNOPPIX uses GNOME as desktop environment.

SystemRescueCD Bootable LiveCD, uses Gentoo-Linux, has options to build your own CD.

Linux from Scratch is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Tutorial
Creating a Complete Distribution on CD

Thanks , will have a look at the web sites.

Hi ,
Knoppix website allows you to download best live cd

And if you want all the best tools of different flavours of linux in one distribution
# The base system is built from scratch.
# Packagetools come from Slackware (installpkg, removepkg).
# Raidtools from Red Hat.
# Kudzu Hardware recognition from Red Hat.
# Startup scripts from Red Hat.
# Mozilla from Netscape Ltd.
# OpenOffice from Sun.
# Hwsetup from Knoppix.
# Sax2, Yast2 from SuSE
# KDE 3.3.
# Apt tools from Debian.
# Synaptic from Connectiva.

Then goto http://www.yoper.com/

I would wholeheartedly recommend knoppix - I often use this as a rescue/repair distro, and provide it to non-linux fellows to give the OS a try....

Also; if you're going to attempt to install Linux to a 650Mb partition, it is not going to work, unless you opt for a really basic text-mode system. Any remaning space will soon fill with log files/temp files etc (/var, /tmp) - plus you're leaving no room for anything under /home. I'd personally recommend a *minimum* of 4Gb for a modern Linux distro - and this would be extremely stripped down.

If it's 650Gb on the other hand :wink:

Cheers
ZB

I've always used SystemRescueCD, since it has Partimage, which I use for creating and restoring systems from images. It is built on Gentoo-Linux, but I just found another valuable CD tool, called,

The Ultimate Boot CD.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Which I think even those not using GNU/Linux *BSD or UNIX will also find value it in.

Another specialty CD I keep handy is.
F.I.R.E - the Forensic and Incident Response Environment (formerly DMZS-Biatchux)
http://biatchux.dmzs.com/