Can´t open /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 Clone/mirror

Hello friends,
I Working with Solaris 8 on a SunFireV890, 150 GB SCSI HD's in Raid 1 (mirroring), my problem is that the master disk failed and going to put the slave (mirror) as a Master in the slot 0 (SCSI) will not start.
The original mounting this, mirror in Raid 0:
c1t0d0s0 (master)
c1t1d0s0 (Slave)

Amount slave disk in slot 0 (SCSI) and modify the /etc/vfstab, reboot, and when the machine began to start, tell me..
Can not open / dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0.

I have reviewed the vfstab and its OK, if I do a format tells me that the disk is pinched as c1t1d0s0.
I did another test on another machine with a HD NO MIRROR, is to make a clone/copy with a ufsdump, a virgin HD.
C0t0d0s0 (HD Solaris8)
C0t1d0s0 (HD virgin)

It happens the same, complete clone/copy, dismount the amount and the C0t1 c0t0 instead. I boot the machine and I get the same problem
Can not open / dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0.

Where you change the boot path? What happen with the clone ?
The vfstab is correct / dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0

Thanks a lot !!

perhaps when master disk failed, slave also got corrupted. so maybe you should check the filesystem, unless its zfs.
btw, vfstab refers to c0 but the disk is on c1 ?

thank you for help me orange

I'm sure the slave drive is fine and I have a third copy that feels the same.
summarizing the problem:
the disc (slave c1t1d0s0) is fine but when connecting the SCSI slot 0 (c1t0d0s0) is recognized as scsi slot 1 (c1t1d0s0) and don�t start.

have you tried 'probe-scsi' from ok prompt?
you can choose which device boots with 'boot' command

hi gry..

did you run fsck F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0...

thanks guys, but none of the 2 solutions have helped me.

With the probe-scsi-all recognize the hard disk from the OBP (ok prompt) but on boot fails again.

With the fsck-F ... It's the same, it performs well but is still looking for the hard disk in slot 1 (c1t1d0s0) when is plugged in c1t0d0s0 and will not start.

Thanks a lot :wall:

i don' understand why you switched the disks? how did you build the mirror? are you sure it is a mirror? in your first post you said:

raid 0 is not a mirror! and a ufsdump of a disk is also not a raid... please be more specific about what you've done and which error messages you get. also have you tried to leave the disk in slot 1 and boot the system from there (ok boot your_2nd_disk)?

DukeNuke2 Thanks, I'm wrong, is not RAID 0, it�sRAID 1 (mirroring)
I'm sorry but my English is not very good, I try to explain better:

Original configuration-- 2 hard disks in RAID 1 (mirroring)
HD-1 scsi slot 0 c1t0d0s0
HD-2 scsi slot 1 c1t1d0s0

• c1t0d0s0 master disk (HD-1) fails, take it off of scsi slot.

• I Put c1t1d0s0 disk (HD-2) in slot 0 (modified vfstab/system and take off the mirror/submirror metadbs).

• Check hardware probe-scsi-all and boot-r

• Failure to boot Can not open / dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0

• run FSCK -Y /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 = Can�t stat /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0

• run format ----- ==== Available disk = C1t1d0s0

You see, although I have put the disk (hd-2 ) in slot 0 does not recognize it still sees in slot 1.

relating to UFSDUMP:
Is another way I have tried to solve the problem of error in the machine with the hd failed.
On anothermachine (SunFireV890) with a single disk (operating 100%), I put another HD and made a copy of one disk to another with ufsdump / ufsrestore.
When I put the copy made in slot 0, in this machine I get the same problem.:wall:

again thank you very much for your help !!

---------- Post updated at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:28 AM ----------

The 2nd disk is booting from c1t1d0s0 !!
I managed to boot the machine with the HD-2 leaving in the slot-1

but I would like to know, why? My copies/clones in raid 1 (mirror) or ufsdump, when I have to connected to the SCSI slot 0, always recognized as slot 1 (c1t1d0s0)

I tested the vfstab
I tested the boot-device in OBP
I tried it on different machines

Thanks a lot friends !!!

in V890 are NO scsi disks! there are only (internal) fcal disks... so the disk is seen by the system with the WWN. have a look here for a nice procedure on how to replace a disk.

1 Like

Thanks for help me

Next monday tell you something

Have a nice week end !!

Hello again friends
I followed the procedure that DukeNuke2 told me, but I still have the same problem. The hard drives I have installed (2) are Fujitsu Map3147 SCA2 FC FC-AL, did not know who called FibreChanel.

Well, I have everything working perfectly, but I still have the question of why? if it breaks my disk 1 (c1t0d0s0-slot0) and insert disk 2 (slot1-c1t1d0s0) in slot 0, setting it well, I can�t start because It�s recognized like if it were inserted in slot 1.

Thanks a lot friends :b: