Can't open boot_archive error message

Hello guys,

Thanks for all your precious tips.
I hope you can give me some advice again.

This time I am having an issue with a SUN FIRE V240 (SOLARIS 10).

The server doesn't boot, normally , first we had a file system error

====================+FIRST ERROR MESSAGES+===================================================

Unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually
(fsck -F ufs /dev/md/rdsk/d400).

====================================================================================

1) i tried to repair manually the disc with "fsck -F ufs /dev/md/rdsk/d400" , but I wasn't able to run fsck
2) I decided to boot the server with the solaris dvd
"boot cdrom -s" to try to repair the mirror "fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0" but I couldn't.
3) So I have decided to restore the root from the most recent backup tape that I have

4)I have mounted the root and all the other partitions from /a/etc/vfstab & /a/etc/system"
5) I have tried to update the boot archive but it didn't work and I had this error message "not a boot archive based Solaris instance"

6) I have rebooted the server and since then, this two errors appear everytime i do a reboot "Can't open boot_archive" and "The file just loaded does not appear to be executable".

=================the error that I see everytime the server boot===============================================

"Can't open boot_archive" et "The file just loaded does not appear to be executable"

I would appreciate any help

Did you create UFS structure for "/" with newfs before restoring from backup? Did you run installboot after restoring from backup? What command did you use to update the archive? What does metastat d400 say?

here is the procedure that I followed to restore the File system. Unfortunately the admin system didn't do the backup for /opt so I only restored root, var and usr :wall:

Step 1: Boot the server on OBP
Start the OS with solaris dvd 
ok>boot cdrom -s

STEP 2: Create structure for root, var and usr
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4

Mount the root partition to restore it
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a

Step 3: Insert the backup tape to restore the root

# cd /a
# ufsrestore rvf /dev/rmt/0
# rm restoresymtable

Step 4: Mount also the partition /usr et /var:

# mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 /a/usr
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 /a/var

Step 5: Restore /var and /usr
# cd /a/var
# ufsrestore rvf /dev/rmt/0 /var
# rm restoresymtable

# cd /a/usr
# ufsrestore rvf /dev/rmt/0 /usr
# rm restoresymtable
Inserer le tape de backup de la partition /var
# cd /a/var
# ufsrestore rvf /dev/rmt/0
# rm restoresymtable

Verify /etc/vfstab 

STEP 6: Umount all filesystems
# cd /
# umount /a/usr
# umount /a/var
# umount /a

# cd /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs
# installboot bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 

---------- Post updated at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:10 PM ----------

I didn't type the metastat but I guess it won't work, i will try it

You should also run fsck after restore is complete. Post the contents of /a/etc/vfstab and /a/etc/system. Also post the output of metastat d400

I tried different method to resolve this important issue but i still can't solve that booting problem

I am not able to do metastat d400, i can only boot the server with the cdrom because the server can't boot even the boot -f failsafe doesn't work.

here is what i did

i also tried the method bellow but it didn't work

here are the old vfstab config that i have said on my pc

the old etc/systems that i have said on my pc

firstly you should detach you SVM mirror, and then do fsck, instalboot and update bootarchive on both submirrors.

do you have a procedure for that?