Can't create users in /home

Hi Friends,,

I installed solaris 10 in vmware just now.I got a simple problem while i want to create users in /home directory.It is saying "cannot create ".So i checked the permission and then i find that the perm to user(root) is r-x.So i tried to change it to rwx using chmod but again i got a warning "can't change /home".

I didn't get why i am not able to change even as root.Then i checked,,Is there any other directories with same permissions.Then i found vol,proc,net,home are the directories which have r-x perm's.So i tried to change the remaining ,,then /proc and /net also didn't get changed but /vol got changed to rwx.

The major part i noticed is,, for all these directories the usename 'n' groupname is root ..I am trying to create files in home because,, in my previous installations i had done that and i suceeded.I didn't get this problem before.

The problem seems to be simple but i am not able to solve...
Can anyone help in this issue...

don't touch these directories! /home ist a mountpoint for the nfs automounter (e.g for nis domains). typicaly the users got to /export/home/"username".
have a look at /etc/auto_master!

In addition to the previous comments. A typical /etc/auto_home for use on a single machine where you really want home directories in /home would be:

*    hostname:/export/home/&

Where hostname it either the actual hostname of the machine or 'localhost'

@reborg

nice one...

I had exactly the same experience as sdspawankumar..
The problem I was trying to solve is that I have binary code from an
earlier Solaris on SPARC that has file paths /home/dberry/... hardwired
into the code. Since the administrators made my account at /u/dberry
for consistency with the rest of the environment, I was trying to make
a symbolic link under /home/ called dberry set to point to /u/dberry.
After all, this is what I did on some past Solaris and other machines..
Occasionally, I would make home a symbolic link under /.

OK.. so it's clear that neither trick will work on Solaris 10..

Given that.. is there some incantation I can say in some start up file
that will cause "/home/dberry/XXX" in executables to be mapped to /u/dberry/XXX? I get the feeling from reading what I have found about this problem that the purpose of the way /home is built is for behavior
like what I want..

Thanks
Dan