Can't boot from CD.

Hi, again.

Now before you think I just ask here as soon as I have an issue... I did try to resolve this myself (reassembled the drive, cleaned the laser)

My latest issue with my Sun Ultra Enterprise 450, Is that when I try to boot from the CD

{0} ok boot cdrom -s

I get this:

Boot device: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@2/disk@6,0:f  File and args: -s
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

The disk I am using is one that came with the box, it has no scratches or dirt/dust.

I've searched around and all I can find is answers about the disk being wrong/incompatible. However I do not believe this disk to be wrong or incompatible as the disk drive in the box is A DVD drive, and this disk was actually supplied with this box.

P.S. Before I reassembled and cleaned the drive I got A "drive not ready" error.

Just to be sure, download the latest Solaris release from the Oracle website and burn it to a DVD and try to boot from that medium.

And please share the part number of the DVD drive so we can check if it is a supportet device.

Ok... Another issue, while attempting to

probe scsi-all

I get the error:

Stack Underflow

. I power cycle the server and retry

probe scsi-all

, it now throws the error:

Fast Data Access MMU Miss

Should I create yet another thread about this new issue?

As for the drive model... How would I find that? I'm hoping there's A command for it, as I don't particularly feel like pulling the drive out again.

I think there is no other way then pulling the drive... also you can pull all disks and run the probe-scsi-all command again for every single disk to see if one of your disks is bad. also note, it is probe-scsi-all !

Ah, thanks... That was the problem, I forgot it was

probe-scsi-all

As for the results of it... I am very pleased, as it revealed:

Unit 0   Removable Read Only device    TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M14011007

Ok, you have a bad firmware DVD drive. You'll need patch 111649-04 to update your DVD drive to a higher FW. After the update you should be able to boot from DVD.

Ok, so I've looked around, but I can't seem to find A way to apply A firmware update without being logged in as root user. I'm currently still experimenting, But from what I understand I need access to commands unavailable to me in 'ok' prompt.

A bootserver would be a good idea to be able to boot your machine over the network. you can find howtos about jumpstart/bootserver/installserver all over the net. of course you won't even need the DVD drive anymore, because you can install your server over network, too. :wink:

Well, I just annihilated the Ubuntu installation on my terminal laptop... Which I'll have to rebuild from scratch again...
(Tip: don't mess with root permissions on an Ubuntu machine at 1 AM)
And I just hit my internet data allowance, so it's now incredibly slow (So, I wont be downloading Solaris for A while)

Anyhow, I'll post my results after A: my terminal machine actually boots up again, B: when Iv'e downloaded and created A Solaris DVD, and C: when Iv'e set up A jumpstart/bootserver/installserver.

EDIT: Well my terminal machine is back in somewhat-working order (Minus all the work I did on it, and it's programs/etc), but its A step in the right direction at least.