Can't boot FreeBSD after successful installation.

This is a cross post as I haven't got any solution and I'm badly in need of one.

I've installed Slackware 14.2 in /dev/sda1 and x86Solaris 10 U6 in /dev/sda3 (sda2 is Linux swap)and boot menu was Solaris grub but, later deleted Solaris partition and installed FreeBSD12 (for i386) on the same partition.

I created separate partitions for /boot (1G), / (1G), /var (2G), /tmp (1G), swap (3G) and / (23G) in FreeBSD and the installation was seemed to be OK as there was no error msg.

But FreeBSD couldn't boot so I had to use Slack's installation disc to boot slack and used lilo -v to add slack in lilo table. Here lilo throws the following errors:

I also make /dev/sda1 as active in lilo using fdisk with a command. Now there are two partitions are marked active, /dev/sda1 for slack and /dev/sda3 for FreeBSD.

In lilo boot menu the following error message appears when FreeBSD is selected.

I think it comes from a leftover of Solaris' grub but I'm not sure.

Here is the lilo.conf entry for slack and freebsd:

I use 486 with 1.5G memory and 180G ide type HDD.

How will I be able to boot FreeBSD?

P.S FreeBSD 4x to 8x installation was much much better. Nowadays everything seems to be foreign.

Regarding this in your post:

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
boot: loader: not a config directory

What is the exact contents of:

/boot/loader

in your FreeBSD/x86 partition?

Maybe boot in another OS, mount the FreeBSD partition and do a detailed listing of /boot/loader to see why you are getting the message "boot: loader: not a config directory" ?

1 Like

Thank you very much.
I was advised not to create separate /boot as it's only required in GPT partition scheme. I am planning to reinstall it without /boot.
If it doesn't work, then I will try to mount / and inspect boot dir..
Thanks again.

I reinstalled it without /boot.
Now, it's ok.
Solved.